The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyZombie View Post
I apologize for my impatience, but has anyone tried it yet?
I apologize it took so long to answer you...No
Old 06-14-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyZombie View Post
I apologize for my impatience, but has anyone tried it yet?
You are very patient.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Interesting thing about the design however. Mr. Kottke, who was integral in designing it uses it backwards. With the heavy edge against the bass of his finger. I'm going to assume that all that mass wobbling to and fro at the tip of his finger proved to be too much for him. It's not an issue for me, but he plays a fair bit more than me I imagine and long term wear and tear become an issue
Now that is interesting. I taper my Martin Simpson Signature Slide (and many of my custom slides) but only on the inside - the outer wall is straight.

The main reason for this is to concentrate the weight towards the fingertip where it contributes to single-note tone and sustain played with the tip of the slide. It also balances the slide and fits the shape of the finger better than a straight slide, making it very comfortable to wear. Each to his own, though.

Certainly, Martin Simpson plays a lot of slide with his 196 gram tungsten carbide Wolfram Signature Slide, without any problems with comfort or endurance.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

The bottleneck that I cut from a champagne bottle can be seen & heard here if anyone is interested. It weighs 125 grams, by the way.

https://youtu.be/QRAW1Yx71uc?t=1241

In theory the link should FF to where I'm playing my Gibson L-5. The bottleneck has a concave outside, and so it fits the 12" radius typically found on Gibson instruments.

You'll notice that I also fret quite a bit, but the action is not low. Because the bottleneck touches all the strings with no pressure, it's easy to keep the full-chord groups in closer intonation.

With a straight sided slide, a tighter radiused string bed can be problematic when having to depress the inner strings in order to touch the outer strings at the same time.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 03-08-2022, 12:15 PM

I own one. I bought a large, and it's OK on my pinky, but a little cumbersome and not snug. It's perfect on my ring finger, and has led me to experiment with playing with the slide on that finger. I found this thread because I'm looking for a medium, because this is the best slide I've ever played. The feel is fantastic, and the tone is awesome.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion