The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2022, 05:57 PM

Default Bottom “stipe” on guitars

Hello everyone,
I have a question and I wonder if someone has the answer.

Often I see some kind of a “stripe@ on the bottom of an acoustic guitar.
Mostly it’s the same kind of the binding, where the strap is placed.

Is is essential to the guitar, and if so why.

Thanks!

-Chet Atkins-
Old 03-10-2022, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I believe you're referring to the "endpiece"...? Sometimes it's made of a contrasting wood, or a synthetic like ivoroid. They're often made of the same material as the binding, but not always. They can be plain or fancier with multiple inlay work. I've seen some guitars without them, but I think part of the idea is to put something wide enough there to avoid drilling a hole through a straight seam where the two sides meet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ENDPIECE.jpeg (7.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 03-10-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I believe you're referring to the "endpiece"...? Sometimes it's made of a contrasting wood, or a synthetic like ivoroid. They're often made of the same material as the binding, but not always. They can be plain or fancier with multiple inlay work. I've seen some guitars without them, but I think part of the idea is to put something wide enough there to avoid drilling a hole through a straight seam where the two sides meet.
That’s exactly what I meant!
So let’s say if I don’t want a strap pin. Is there a possibility to make the guitar without this end piece? Just regular wood all over the sides.
Thanks.

-Chet Atkins-
Old 03-10-2022, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netanel View Post
That’s exactly what I meant!
So let’s say if I don’t want a strap pin. Is there a possibility to make the guitar without this end piece? Just regular wood all over the sides.
Thanks.
…yes it’s not only possible but fairly commonplace….the stripe you refer to is called and end graft and some guitars have one and some don’t….Martins typically do…Gibsons typically don’t….it’s decorative but it also makes it easier join the two sides at the end tightly because the sides are butted close and then cut off in the place where the end graft can be accurately fitted…the taper that you usually see makes it possible to get a really tight fit….

Last edited by J Patrick; 03-10-2022 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…yes it’s not only possible but fairly commonplace….the stripe you refer to is called and end graft and some guitars have and some don’t….it’s decorative but it also makes it easier join the two sides at the end pin tightly because the sides are butted close and then cut off in the place where the end graft can be accurately fitted…the taper that you usually see makes it possible to get a really tight fit….
Thanks for the detailed answer

-Chet Atkins-
Old 03-10-2022, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

There's a seam there and it's largely just a way to cover that up, and give the builder a bit of wiggle room from having to have the two pieces line up exactly perfectly. Which can be a bit tough.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-10-2022, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
There's a seam there and it's largely just a way to cover that up, and give the builder a bit of wiggle room from having to have the two pieces line up exactly perfectly. Which can be a bit tough.

…yes….the wood grain on a book matched set of sides is rarely going to align perfectly where they meet up….so the end graft is a way to eliminate the issue altogether and might be the main reason they were developed to begin with…
Old 03-10-2022, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Here's a tenor uke I have with no end piece or strap pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3715.jpg (29.1 KB, 93 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion