The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2022, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Fret board radius – Switching between acoustic and electric

Though my question leans towards electric guitars there is an acoustic guitar element to my query. So, I opted to pose the comments and questions in the general acoustic forum

We always get threads about switching between fret board/ nut widths, but Fret board radius does not come up as often, especially with acoustic guitars.
Most acoustic makers stick to a 16 inch radius with some builders working with a compound radius. Gibson is an exception, with some guitars having a bit more curve. And it seems most classical guitars lean towards a flatter neck, with the exception of a crossover.

I am curios to hear about your experience choosing an electric guitar (neck) based on your passion for acoustic guitar. Do you prefer a larger radius on your electrics, one that is more comparable to your acoustic preference, or are you able to switch back and forth with no issues

For me, I have a mid-70s Fender strat that I just took out of the closet (It’s been over a decade since I played electric) I do consider it to be one of the good ones. It sounds amazing and the playability is really good. But after a couple of days playing it I find the 7.25 radius to be a bit challenging. So I'm off to the music store to explore and look for an electric that feels more like and acoustic (Love to find a strat with the flatter 16 inch radius, but I'm open to working outside the box)

What electrics do you have. Did you choose it/them because the fret board radius is more akin to an acoustic?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 03-10-2022 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:21 AM

While I have a couple electrics with a 7.25 radius, I much prefer at least 9.5. If you do a lot of big bends 7.25 is more likely to fret out unless setup is *perfect* (and sometimes even then!).

YMMV, etc.

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 03-10-2022, 08:49 AM

I find that the 9.5" radius is not a big change for me from my acoustics which are mostly 16". The 7.25" radius on paper does not seem like it should be a lot different from 9.5", but in playing it is a noticeable difference for me and I don't get along with it well.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

I agree with the two above. With a 9" I can't tell much difference. 7.5" only if I really think about it. Which I try not to do. One advantage of having a few guitars, is that you (speaking for myself) learn to just play them, and try not to worry about nut width, radius, spacing, etc... Plus, when I hear myself play, I realize I'm not good enough to be fussy!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-10-2022, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Though my question leans towards electric guitars there is an acoustic guitar element to my query. So, I opted to pose the comments and questions in the general acoustic forum

We always get threads about switching between fret board/ nut widths, but Fret board radius does not come up as often, especially with acoustic guitars.
Most acoustic makers stick to a 16 inch radius with some builders working with a compound radius. Gibson is an exception, with some guitars having a bit more curve. And it seems most classical guitars lean towards a flatter neck, with the exception of a crossover.

I am curios to hear about your experience choosing an electric guitar (neck) based on your passion for acoustic guitar. Do you prefer a larger radius on your electrics, one that is more comparable to your acoustic preference, or are you able to switch back and forth with no issues

For me, I have a mid-70s Fender strat that I just took out of the closet (It’s been over a decade since I played electric) I do consider it to be one of the good ones. It sounds amazing and the playability is really good. But after a couple of days playing it I find the 7.25 radius to be a bit challenging. So I'm off to the music store to explore and look for an electric that feels more like and acoustic (Love to find a strat with the flatter 16 inch radius, but I'm open to working outside the box)

Why not just get a new neck for your strat? If it is a good instrument, why buy a whole new one?
Old 03-10-2022, 09:13 AM

“Plays like my acoustic“ is the reason I bought my electric guitar, an ES-335. Actually an IBG Epiphone ES-335. It’s perfect for the genre I play - Classic rock & roll, country, blues, and jazz. I fully intend to compliment it with a Les Paul solid body, an IBG Epiphone ’59.

My wife threw a wrench into my plans by gifting me with a Telecaster. While it does feel different, the longer scale length & smaller neck radius seems easy to adjust to. I currently have my eye on a Stratocaster, and may buy that before the Les Paul.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 03-10-2022, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Why not just get a new neck for your strat? If it is a good instrument, why buy a whole new one?

Why buy a whole new one ......ha ha ha...ha ha ha, ha , ha. Well you get the point

I thought about replacing the neck and it’s still a possibility. In fact I was on the Warmoth website yesterday. But first I want to explore. Perhaps there’s something out there that will push all my buttons as is. The Eric Johnson Strat has a 12 inch radius so I’m gonna check that out. It’s not cheap but if it does blow me away then I have the option to have both, or sell the 75 strat. Not going to get vintage price for a mid 70s strat but, with the original neck I can get enough to substantially off set the cost of a newish high end strat, or other guitar. And if I do sell it then I would have no use for a custom neck. So I’m holding off on the new neck option....for now.

With this next purchase I’m gonna take my time.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-10-2022, 09:48 AM

Gretsch Electromatics and Streamliners have a 12” radius. Very comfortable to me, being a huge J45 and Guild fan.
Roger
Old 03-10-2022, 10:03 AM

Are those semihollow?
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 03-10-2022, 10:12 AM

My Carvin electrics are 20" radius. No problem switching to 16" radius on my acoustics.

I don't own a Strat or Tele but if I did, they would have flatter fretboards.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-10-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
Are those semihollow?
Gretsch offers hollow, semi-hollow, and solid body models. With and without Bigsby vibratos.

Rb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion