The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2022, 10:12 PM

Default old science fiction guitar story

Decades ago I read a short science fiction story, and I wondered if anyone else read it ( long shot I know). While I cannot remember the author, the plot went like this. The setting was the distant future and trees were not to be found ( hence wood was very rare). In researching the past, someone found some information about an instrument called a guitar and the task was set to build one. Everyone was excited due to the accolades given the instrument in ancient writings. A tree or some wood ( can't remember which) was found, some plans discovered and to best of knowledge, an acoustic guitar was made. There was some confusion on how to string it for the writings only mentioned it having strings. Some string was located and deemed appropriate. The strings were tightened as prescribed in the writings and finally someone strummed and plucked it. I believe 'thud' was the descriptive sound. The scientists then came to the conclusion that the guitar and its sound must have appealed to primitive ears only …and that was the end of that.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:08 AM

Fun! No idea, but would probably get a kick out of reading it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
I believe 'thud' was the descriptive sound. The scientists then came to the conclusion that the guitar and its sound must have appealed to primitive ears only …and that was the end of that.
It sounds like just the type of guitar timbre that my primitive ears find appealing.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
Decades ago I read a short science fiction story, and I wondered if anyone else read it ( long shot I know). While I cannot remember the author, the plot went like this. The setting was the distant future and trees were not to be found ( hence wood was very rare). In researching the past, someone found some information about an instrument called a guitar and the task was set to build one. Everyone was excited due to the accolades given the instrument in ancient writings. A tree or some wood ( can't remember which) was found, some plans discovered and to best of knowledge, an acoustic guitar was made. There was some confusion on how to string it for the writings only mentioned it having strings. Some string was located and deemed appropriate. The strings were tightened as prescribed in the writings and finally someone strummed and plucked it. I believe 'thud' was the descriptive sound. The scientists then came to the conclusion that the guitar and its sound must have appealed to primitive ears only …and that was the end of that.
That is a good illustration of the limitations of science - we interpret observations based on what we currently know, and that interpretation can change when new information os discovered. It is a continually evolving process that we can't always take as absolute fact at any point in that evolution.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-10-2022, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

From Rush's 2112:

III. DISCOVERY
“…Behind my beloved waterfall, in the little room that was hidden beneath the cave, I found it. I brushed away the dust of the years, and picked it up, holding it reverently in my hands. I had no idea what it might be, but it was beautiful…”

“…I learned to lay my fingers across the wires, and to turn the keys to make them sound differently. As I struck the wires with my other hand, I produced my first harmonious sounds, and soon my own music! How different it could be from the music of the Temples! I can’t wait to tell the priests about it! …”

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It’s got wires that vibrate, and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently, like rain.

I can’t wait to share this new wonder
The people will all see its light
Let them all make their own music
The Priests praise my name on this night.

IV. PRESENTATION
“…In the sudden silence as I finished playing, I looked up to a circle of grim, expressionless faces. Father Brown rose to his feet, and his somnolent voice echoed throughout the silent Temple Hall…”

“…Instead of the grateful joy that I expected, they were words of quiet rejection! Instead of praise, sullen dismissal. I watched in shock and horror as Father Brown ground my precious instrument to splinters beneath his feet…”

I know it’s most unusual
To come before you so
But I’ve found an ancient miracle
I thought that you should know
Listen to my music
And hear what it can do
There’s something here as strong as life
I know that it will reach you.

The Priests:

Yes, we know
It’s nothing new
It’s just a waste of time
We have no need for ancient ways
Our world is doing fine
Another toy
That helped destroy
The elder race of man
Forget about your silly whim
It doesn’t fit the plan

I can’t believe you’re saying
These things just can’t be true
Our world could use this beauty
Just think what we might do

The Priests:

Don’t annoy us further
We have our work to do.
Just think about the average
What use have they for you?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion