The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2022, 06:51 AM

Default Guitar Built For Drop Tuning?

Has anyone ever heard of an acoustic guitar with a slightly longer neck scale (shorter than a baritone) to be optimized for tuning down a whole step?

I’d assume you could use .014 heavier strings.

Collings D2H
Godin A6 Ultra
Sire T7
Old 03-09-2022, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I have heard of that. Not terribly uncommon from smaller builders. Kevin Ryan in particular seems to make them pretty regularly.

Fan fret/multiscale instruments are also (more or less) designed for altered tunings.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-09-2022, 06:59 AM

Dang near anything can be done if one opens the wallet. I currently have a build for C tuning that will be in between regular and baritone scale length.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Yes, longer scale lengths and fan fret designs are options to facilitate playing in dropped tunings. Depending on the guitar’s build, you can also increase your string gauge. I play in drop tunings just fine with both my 25” and 25.4” scale guitars.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-09-2022, 09:10 AM

The Ibanez Jon Gomm series (JGM-5 JGM-10), the PA300E, and the PA230E were supposedly designed for drop tunings. The scale on all of these guitars is slightly longer and they claim that the neck was made stiffer to allow on-the-fly retuning.

I briefly had the PA300E. I think the design is excellent for amplified on-stage performance. Its 3-pickup combination is superb. I had no problems with the scale length (and I don't have big hands). Also felt that the taller frets made it easier to play.

In the end, I chose not to keep it because it didn't match my personal needs and I could use the money on something else. I don't perform and I rarely run my guitars through an amp.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:44 AM

I have my 12 fret recording king tuned to CGCFCE. With 11s. I have no problems with it. Might bump it to 12s if I feel like it.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:58 AM

Another recommendation to take a look at fan fret guitars.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Freeborn

I have a guitar by Oregon builder Charles Freeborn that was made to be tuned to C. It has a 26" scale with an almost baritone size body of Cedar/Walnut.

It can handle B to E tuning and accommodate up to the slightly larger 062 low E string if desired.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 03-09-2022, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkeingraffia View Post
Has anyone ever heard of an acoustic guitar with a slightly longer neck scale (shorter than a baritone) to be optimized for tuning down a whole step?

I’d assume you could use .014 heavier strings.
Hk burkeingraffia…
Sure…multi scale guitars (fanned fret) are designed for that. And with a moderate offset (1" or less) the fingerings are pretty transparent.

My offset is ¾" and I've had people play it for over 5 minutes before they even noticed the offset (visually, not because of any physical difficulty playing it).

My 2005 Bashkin OM scale is 25-25.75" and it doesn't require .014 (nor would it be good for it) It will do CGCGCD with .011 (custom light) strings. I usually string with .012.

A player could specify scale, offset, and bracing as long as a luthier is willing to build it for them, and the player has the money.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-09-2022, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

I had a guitar built just for what you describe. It didn't generate much interest in the Custom Shop thread but I've had it for a couple of months and it's awesome.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:45 PM

All you need is to select the correct gage strings for the scale length you have and the pitch you want. It ain't rocket surgery. You may need to adjust nut and saddle slots.

I have a 25" 10 string mandocello with normal frets going from a low C up to the same high E as a standard tuned guitar. I use Curt Mangan light mandocello strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
drop tuning, neck scale