The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I'm one of those "likes the sound of old strings" guys, so if I keep them clean, I really start liking strings a few weeks in and continue liking them for 3-4 months...
I think I fit this category.

If you do too, any truth to the rumor that a good, resonant guitar needs strings changed less often?
Old 03-07-2022, 01:13 PM

I rip the front panel off of the string package and handwrite the date on it whenever I change the strings. That way I always know exactly which strings are on the guitar and how old they are.

Last string change was August 18th.

Riding these Elixir Nano Light PBs for over 6 months now with 1-2 hours of hard daily playing and I insist they still sound great! Sometimes the G string wears out relatively quickly depending on how much Pink Floyd I'm working on

I have a box of the Elixir HD lights sitting here in front of me because the change is coming soon... Perhaps even today now that I'm thinking about it. Been wanting to try these for a long time.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Three weeks max. I rotate three guitars, each for two to three weeks. When I switch, I change strings. I used to wait until I heard dead strings. I found that was two weeks too long.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-07-2022, 06:23 PM

I can usually tell by the sound of the strings. I am not playing as much as I have in the past, so I am not changing them as often as I used to. I have 3 acoustic guitars and I use then all. I used to get about 2 months out of a set, now it is about 4 months.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish5 View Post
I've read that these last awhile, but my last set went dead in two months or so. I mean really dead. Sounds like that is an anomaly?
Maybe you ate some BBQ before you played one day, and that bonked the strings early!
Old 03-08-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish5 View Post
I've read that these last awhile, but my last set went dead in two months or so. I mean really dead. Sounds like that is an anomaly?
Maybe you were playing more?

I actually think saying how long strings last in terms of months is kind of meaningless, but I've never sat down to calculate how many hours of play it takes me to wear a set out!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-08-2022, 11:28 AM
The Pearl of the Orient

This thread had me thinking about the last time I changed my strings. Oh boy! Its been A while!!

Let's start with the last time I bought strings. About 1 1/2 years ago. I purchased two sets. I got D'addorio's and Tony Rice Martins. I still have them, unopened and all.

My last string change appears to have taken place March 2017. I admit, I haven't played much in this period of time. Often forcing myself to play something in an effort to not forget anymore of my music than I already have.

The set of strings before that where there from December 2014 to March 2017. I still have them, wrote around 15 songs on them, and played/practiced 8hrs a day easily for at least a year of that time.

Last edited by Roy Earle; 03-08-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:11 PM

Whether it be acoustic or electric....I change my strings as soon as i see the B and high E strings start to rust.... As i use D'addario strings for my electrics it'susually around the 3-4 month point.

Acoustics, I use elixirs on my Matons so being a coated string they generally last around 6 months per set for me, but it's give or take. as soon as I see the slightest sign of rust i change them. nothing worse than playing a guitar with rusted strings, it's fret suicide.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:49 AM

Once every 6 months whether it needs it or not, lol. At that time I also do a full cleaning, polishing of frets and add a drop or two of bore oil to the fingerboard and bridge to darken it up.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:08 AM

My D'addario EJ16 had been on for about three months and they weren't too bad, but yesterday I changed them and well, it sounds amazing now. For the price of a set of uncoated strings it is worth changing them at least three or four times a year at least

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 03-09-2022, 08:01 AM

I go relatively long periods of time without changing strings. It's not a task I relish, and my guitars still sound good with old strings. Although I love the sound of new strings, I don't need that treat on a regular basis. I'd guess I usually go between four to six months before I change, sometimes earlier sometimes later.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:34 AM

When I start looking seriously at the AGF classified section. I change strings and fall back in love with what I’ve got.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:23 PM

Between the 4 acoustics I play regularly to semi-regularly, 4 - 6 months each.

I keep a running log in my Notes app on my phone, with the date, guitar, what strings/gauge I changed to, and whether I simply cleaned the guitar, oiled the fretboard, or polished the frets. If I particularly liked a set of strings, I'll of course note that.

I also have a few notes in there as reminders on how many string wraps vs post lengths, just so I know in the future.

I've been thinking the Martin Retro Monel Tony Rice strings on my BR-43 were still relatively good, but then thought.. what the heck.. let's change it up.. it's been 5 months. I love the new sound and of the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings I put on.. although I did notice a sharp end wrap near the ball side, which was annoying. Noted in my log

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion