The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2022, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Question about gait checking; where do you pick it up?

I thought that if you gate-checked, it came out at the baggage carousel. That's not what was posted above.

The only time I ever was told to gate check a bag, I said OK, then as I walked down the jetway I tore off the tag, got on the plane, and put it in the overhead.
Well, there's two kinds of gate check -
1. They tag it at the gate check-in, and the luggage handlers come and take it away and it gets loaded with the rest of the luggage. Then, you pick it up with the rest of the luggage.
2. The gate gives you a tag, and you take your item with you down the jetway when boarding and leave it at the bottom of the jetway before boarding the plane. A luggage person takes your item and when you get off the plane, you pick it up right on the jetway where you dropped it off!

The #2 option is what people typically call 'gate check'.

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 03-08-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdphillips57 View Post
Where do you get your insurance? I'd like to look into that. Also, what is your preferred method of shipping? Do you put it in a box, or just ship the case?
I get mine from Heritage.
Musical Instrument Department
Heritage Insurance Services, Inc.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Well, there's two kinds of gate check -
1. They tag it at the gate check-in, and the luggage handlers come and take it away and it gets loaded with the rest of the luggage. Then, you pick it up with the rest of the luggage.
2. The gate gives you a tag, and you take your item with you down the jetway when boarding and leave it at the bottom of the jetway before boarding the plane. A luggage person takes your item and when you get off the plane, you pick it up right on the jetway where you dropped it off!

The #2 option is what people typically call 'gate check'.
Thanks, and yes, I'd much rather have #2
Old 03-08-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdphillips57 View Post
Where can I purchase HISCOX cases domestically? I searched online and only found them for sale in the UK.
I think there is currently a shortage of Hiscox flight cases in the US. I don't know your budget, but in the $1000+ range, Calton flight cases are excellent.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:33 PM

Whenever I fly with my acoustic, I loosen the wing nut on the base of the neck, fold it up and put my laptop in the guitar case along with the guitar and my medication (in case my checked in bags get lost) and take it on board with me. It's a Journey of-660 carbon fibre guitar.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosswind View Post
I think there is currently a shortage of Hiscox flight cases in the US. I don't know your budget, but in the $1000+ range, Calton flight cases are excellent.
There are a couple threads on this but the short of it is Andertons UK is shipping direct to the US and it's easy and inexpensive. I just picked up a pro II shipped to my door arriving in under a week for under $240 all in.

They are impressively light and everything seems to point to them being extremely protective. They aren't pretty but that didn't matter to me personally.

Last edited by Aspiring; 03-08-2022 at 04:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion