The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2014, 03:22 PM

Default I wish I could A-B my guitar!

I switched strings on my Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo from DR Dragon Skins (.12's) to Martin FX's (.11's).
Now I did the same thing on my Yamaha FG730S several weeks ago and I really like the change. The Yamaha just plays and sounds better. With the Seagull I'm not so sure. It's sounds "ok" and still plays beautifully (I had to tweak the truss rod just a hair for the string-gauge change). But I'm not yet too keen on the sound. I don't know if I have to get used to it or if these strings just aren't a match for this guitar. I wish I could play the Seagull with the DR''s and then again with the Martin's to see which one I like better. Thoughts?

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 05-03-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesyRob View Post
I switched strings on my Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo from DR Dragon Skins (.12's) to Martin FX's (.11's).
Now I did the same thing on my Yamaha FG730S several weeks ago and I really like the change. The Yamaha just plays and sounds better. With the Seagull I'm not so sure. It's sounds "ok" and still plays beautifully (I had to tweak the truss rod just a hair for the string-gauge change). But I'm not yet too keen on the sound. I don't know if I have to get used to it or if these strings just aren't a match for this guitar. I wish I could play the Seagull with the DR''s and then again with the Martin's to see which one I like better. Thoughts?
Confused? You appear to be. Your post implies the Seagull sounded better than OK prior to the string change, and is now just OK. It seems to me you already know which strings you like better.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Whenever I change strings, I record my guitars. I usually wait a few days for the strings to settle in before I record. I have a library of string recordings, and that is incredibly helpful, because there would be no way for me to remember how different strings sound.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 05-03-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reholli View Post
Confused? You appear to be. Your post implies the Seagull sounded better than OK prior to the string change, and is now just OK. It seems to me you already know which strings you like better.
Basically, I like the FEEL of 11's better but the SOUND of the 12's...but right now the 11's have that really bright new-string sound, so I'd like to break them in a few days to hear the sound...

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 05-12-2014, 07:10 PM

I've decided I don't like 'em (.11's). IMO, Too thin sounding for fingerstyle, and I drive 'em too hard when I strum.

Back to .12's for me.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion