The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2001, 06:30 PM

Talking A Saga- Part 4(long)

:Mapletrees, I am inclined to agree with you re: that book you read. But I should warn you that if you wanna get too smart I have a Ph.D. in cutdowns and sarcasm.It could get ugly. Anyway, To sum up the time from last JAnuary to now, here's the deal.I got the 512 back in early january with a well repaired binding that turned out to be cracked, not scratched. also it was wired for sound witha fishman.It also buzzed worse than it had. I spent the next several months trying every humidity, truss rod adjustment and playing adjustment I could to no avail. I loaded the family up and drove 6 hours to a well recommended luthier, shipped overnight to another well recommended luthier
,avoided playing altogether to forget about it, tried playing anyway while not noticing the buzz,which takes me to late august 2001. IN a last ditch effort, I call Taylor 1 more time. I explain how much after purchase moola I have spent and ask if there is anything they think they could try? Well, Glen speaks with Zach and after conferring Taylor calls with the following options:1- I can send it back and they can replane the neck and refret 2:they can give me a replacement 512 or 3:I can go back to the dealer and get a different model and if more expensive i pay the difference.As I believe the dealer(wildwood Music-coshocton Ohio) has proven to be less than I expected I ain't giving them 1 more cent.I don't trust the 512 at this point to try a fix, so I took arrival of my new-new 512 with fishman natural 1 last Friday.As testament to Taylor's great customer service, I got the new monkey fur case,and had been expecting the old poodle plush which I requested keeping. I wasn't gonna say a word but zach called and realized they sent the wrong case so my old deluxe case is on the way as well. As long as I have a guitar, suffice it to say I will have a Taylor. The end.
Matthew 6:33
(formerly cc)
Old 11-06-2001, 06:34 PM

CC,

We all love happy endings, but you have left us unfulfilled.....how's the new axe, what's its name, how beautiful is it, what kind of top does it have, etc......

Glad to hear that you are happy with Taylor....I've yet to have an interaction, but I do like the general tone....
Old 11-06-2001, 10:23 PM

tbondo, thanks for the interest. My 512 has an englemann spruce top. I really did not like the koa rosette in pix but like it in person. still don't like the small dot inlay vs. the diamonds on my old one. I really like the rosewood binding vs. the tortoiseshell(especially with the old one having been cracked).As far as the sound, I expected this one to be not as full as the old one since it went into production 10-16 and was completed 10-26-01(vs. nearly 6 year's old for my old 512) but have been really pleasantly surprised.I will get a chance to play this sunday night at church solo so i will have a better feel for things then but this definitely feels like "my"guitar.I love the englemann/mahogany combo and still prefer the grand concert size although i have been tempted by the grand auditorim's versatility at times. I have never given a guitar a name so I have nothing to report there.Having had the old case I will echo what others have said in roundly condemning the new case. I didn't believe the monkey fur actually shed when I read that but it actually does.the case is also so tight I almost can't get the guitar in it safely.I can't wait for the old one to come back. I will rate my new 512 on a scale of 1-10:sound-10
action-9
appearance-10
case-3
fit and finish-10
oveerall-9.5
Matthew 6:33
(formerly cc)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion