The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2001, 02:54 AM

Talking Congratulations! You've Won the Lottery!

OK. Sorry, maybe you didn't win. But let's say money was no object.

What guitars/recording equipment/(other toys) would you own if money was no object.

What the hey? It's fun to dream.
Old 10-13-2001, 03:58 AM

This topic might be better served in the "Anything Goes" section, but I'll make it appropriate by talking about Taylor guitars.

I've sometimes wondered what kind of guitars the superrich celebrities would own - oddly enough Dave Matthews seems to play plain old 7xx guitars frequently. Wonder why he doesn't always play 9xx series?

I definitely would want a PS-series, probably a braz rosewood dread with a super high grade spruce top (sitka maybe?). Then while we're dreaming, I'd get my own signature model designed and built (KLSM...oh wait, they already have one of those). Not sure what it would be though, but I'm sure I would be able to work with Bob and Kurt personally to figure it out.

Then of course I would have to get a super high grade Koa K-55, and probably would buy a CPSM to mess around with too.

Then, I'd fly to Hawaii to visit James Goodall and have him build me a few of his guitars. Definitely one of those RCJC models (Rosewood-cutaway-jumbo-concert) with the highest grade rosewood and spruce with some fancy inlays and gold hardware, and an LR Baggs Dual Source. Also would order a Standard (dread) model.

Then after getting back from Hawaii, I would visit Modulus Guitars and have a custom 5-string bass made for me, as well as a 4-string. I would get the highest grade quilted maple tops...dunno what colors though. I'd also buy a Musicman 4 for the funky stuff, and whatever high-end Fender P-bass I could find for the classic sound. On my way home I would visit Michael Tobias at MTD and have him build me a sweet 5 string.

Would have top-of-the-line pickups installed in all of the basses, so that they would sound great through my new David Eden 2x4x10 bass rig with 1000 watts of power.

And somewhere along the way, I would pick up some vintage LPs and Strats.

I wouldn't have any time to record, because I'd be playing all these guitars. And besides, I wouldn't have a home studio anyways because I'd my own engineer on contract waiting for me at a studio in NYC.

Eventually, I would feel bad about owning all this super fancy stuff and would sell much of it to buy some Taylors for the worship leaders in the youth group at church.
(But I would keep the Taylors!)

Ken
Old 10-13-2001, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RL:
<STRONG>OK. Sorry, maybe you didn't win. But let's say money was no object.

What guitars/recording equipment/(other toys) would you own if money was no object.

What the hey? It's fun to dream.</STRONG>
While I havent won the lottery, am not rich, live from minute to minute,and have to save for most everything. I can have whatever guitar I want (current mass produced)and if I had to have only one and had my choice of any guitar Ive ever played it would be an eazy choice, Taylor Cedar Top K14C no electronics, no amp just what acoustic is supposed to be. Give me an aduidance of 10 to 20 sitting in a quiet park. Winning the lottery only make you wealthy doing what you love makes you rich and trust me it doesnt take a lot of money to do it. Nor does it take a 10 thousand dollar guitar to sound good either. JW
Old 10-13-2001, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kenliu:
<STRONG>Then, I'd fly to Hawaii to visit James Goodall and have him build me a few of his guitars. Definitely one of those RCJC models (Rosewood-cutaway-jumbo-concert) with the highest grade rosewood and spruce with some fancy inlays and gold hardware, and an LR Baggs Dual Source... (snip)

Eventually, I would feel bad about owning all this super fancy stuff and would sell much of it to buy some Taylors for the worship leaders in the youth group at church.
(But I would keep the Taylors!)</STRONG>
Ken,

Are you stalking me? That's what I'd do, too. Coincidentally, my partner at work went to Hawaii this week, so I told him you GOTTA try to get to the Goodall shop." He called me yesterday to say "just wanted to let you know that Jean Goodall just told me to come by any time today." I'll have to wait until Monday for the report! (And pix, I hope.) He likes Gibsons (the heathen!), so I know he'll like the Goodall neck better than I do.
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 10-13-2001, 10:10 PM

The only time I played a Goodall, I was so blown away by the tone that I didn't really even notice anything about the neck. Seemed pretty comfortable to me. The tone makes $4000 seem like a good deal.

Ken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion