The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2001, 03:40 PM

Question Right In The Middle

I've got a good dilema to be in...

Own a 310ce, and just bought a 614ce, which is gorgeous (but you folks know that already).

I'm almost afraid to take the 614 out of the house, and while I like the sound of the 310 (my first Taylor), it does not sound like the 614 (obivious again...sorry).

So.....is there a model inbetween the 310 and 614 that wouldn't cause me dent/ding/damage paranoia that I could use in a church setting?

I realize both of my guitars would work, but I guess I'm looking for more of a Taylor workhorse guitar.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:13 PM

Actually, I'd tend to think of the 310 as a workhorse, being at the low end of the regular Taylor line. Have you considered looking for something used?

Barring that, if I were you, I'd go ahead and use the 614 if it's really the more pleasing guitar. I understand fully the desire to avoid dents and dings, but the guitar is meant to be played, so you might as well make the most of it. (Since damage is always possible, instrument insurance is a good idea.)

If you ever get a gig you feel is dicey, chances are you wouldn't want any regular Taylor along for the ride. In that case, I'd suggest finding a lower-end player, like a Martin 15 series, Tacoma, Seagull, etc.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:26 PM

Uh, the obvious answer is something from the 4xx or 5xx series.

It's just a guess, but probably a 510ce (or a 510 with added electronics) would be good. Not too fancy, not that expensive. The 514 is nice, but it has a cedar top, which might not suit you as well if you really like to the bright maple sound.

The mahogany of the 510 is going to have a brighter sound (similar to your 310) than the ovangkol which is closer to the darker rosewood sound.

Ken
Old 07-30-2001, 04:29 PM

Oh yeah,

And I would use the 614 at church, too. I recently got an 810 that is my main church guitar. Just don't leave it out on a stand where people can come mess with it.

The dents and dings will come. Use the fine guitar you've been blessed with to serve Him.

Ken
Old 07-30-2001, 04:53 PM

Cool

Buy what you like then let the dings come as they may. You can either enjoy your guitar or save it for the next guy.JW
Old 07-30-2001, 08:03 PM

thanks for the thoughts, all good points. Just for fun, I'm going to look at some 500 series guitars, but I'll probably use the 614 and trust the Lord to protect it.

Man, do we love our Taylors, or what?
Old 07-30-2001, 09:59 PM
.tom the übergeek

Actually, God is not all that protective of my 810. I did most of the damage to it playing at church. However, I still take it out and play it for all it's worth when called for. I have to agree with KenLiu on this one. God blessed you with a fine instrument and the talent to play it.... GO FOR IT. Play it happily and praise him with it. I like to think of the nicks on my 810 as "beauty marks..."
Old 07-31-2001, 07:53 AM

Hey, don't forget that God's perfect Son bore a few marks on our behalf. I'd say a ding or scratch in service for the Lord is a badge of honor rather than something to avoid.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:32 AM

I enjoy playing my Taylor and I want others who want to play it know that it is a finely crafted guitar worth every penny. I am very careful with it and I let whoever wants to play it, play it, even if they have no experience. Now if they start jumping around with it, then it stops. But guitars are meant to be heard, not played in a closed room. If I play out, its expected that someone will ask to "check it out". If you don't want it handled, then leave it at home and bring a beater guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion