The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 PM

Default A couple 12-fret GC questions:

First of all, it was originally introduced as a non-cutaway for the 35th anniversary series and is now part of a series called the "specialty" models, where I've only seen it with a cutaway. Is it available without the cutaway as well?

If yes to the above, is it possible to do a BTO with the 12-fret?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM

From what I understand, the 12-fret GC comes with ES and cutaway. However, there is now a 12-fret GC BTO option so I assume you could order one without the cutaway.

or you could just buy a 35th anniversary that has the koa back/sides http://www.guitarrodeo.com/taylor_de....148&series=LT
Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 AM

The newly introduced “standard line” 12 fret is EI rosewood/sitka with a cutaway and the Expression System. It is sort of like a 700 series guitar.

As noted, it is now on the BTO list of possibilities so if you go that route yo can have pretty much whatever your heart desires (guitar-wise that is).

And...

My local dealer ordered one at NAMM. I think that when it shows up I may have to take it home as I love 12 frets.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP26 View Post
The newly introduced “standard line” 12 fret is EI rosewood/sitka with a cutaway and the Expression System. It is sort of like a 700 series guitar.
Do these show up on the Taylor website? If so, I can't find them. Very interested after playing the 12-fret Koa/sitka 35th anniversary model that does not have the cutaway at a local shop ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
Do these show up on the Taylor website? If so, I can't find them. Very interested after playing the 12-fret Koa/sitka 35th anniversary model that does not have the cutaway at a local shop ...
You can find it on the taylor site at the newest Wood and Steel under the "resources" heading.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:07 PM

They have yet to be placed on the Taylor site under the product listings. They are on Taylor's 2010 price list.

And yes, the 12 fret is a featured item along with the Baritones in the current issue of W&S.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Question

i've yet to see one of the 12 fret editions, let alone play one.

so in your opinion, those who have played one, does it really sound much different than the regular GC-and how?

i'm interested, but only if theres a different tone coming out of one vs the GC series.

thanks
daryl
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 PM

I would suspect a noticeable tone difference with the 12 fret configuration, even with the same top/body wood combination.

Since the scale length is the same as the standard GC and the body length is the same, the bridge is, by necessity now located closer to the tail of the guitar (check the picture on the Taylor web site.) This bridge location, being more towards the center of the lower bout, should produce a much more rounded tone than the 14 fret configuration.

I have had two Larrivee OM guitars, one with a 12 fret configurationa and one with a 14 fret neck join. The 12 fret has much more tonal presence than the standard 14 model.

I'd really like to try one of these new Taylor 12 frets, but even if I could find one, my bank account would not allow it.
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary0319 View Post
I would suspect a noticeable tone difference with the 12 fret configuration, even with the same top/body wood combination.

Since the scale length is the same as the standard GC and the body length is the same, the bridge is, by necessity now located closer to the tail of the guitar (check the picture on the Taylor web site.) This bridge location, being more towards the center of the lower bout, should produce a much more rounded tone than the 14 fret configuration.

I have had two Larrivee OM guitars, one with a 12 fret configurationa and one with a 14 fret neck join. The 12 fret has much more tonal presence than the standard 14 model.

I'd really like to try one of these new Taylor 12 frets, but even if I could find one, my bank account would not allow it.
All of the above is correct per my experience (including the bank account part ) ... the 12 fret 35th anniversary model I played, compared to my GC8, has more volume and deeper bass response ... that said, I still love my GC8 and do not plan to part with it ... but I'd like to have a 12 fret in addition for the tone/volume differences ... I prefer the short scale and feel of the GC and the 12 fret feels and plays just the same ... I did notice that without the cut-away, I am bumping into the body on a few of my original instrumentals ... therefore, I would go for the cut-away to address that issue ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion