The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-25-2021, 02:36 AM

Default Tuning down, and effect on action

If a guitar is tuned down one step or two steps, would this affect the action? If so, how?

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-25-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-25-2021, 02:39 AM

There might be less relief due to the decreased tension.
Old 12-25-2021, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
There might be less relief due to the decreased tension.
Would it lower the action?
Old 12-25-2021, 02:59 AM

Probably. How much probably depends on the individual guitar. Shouldn't take long to find out.
Old 12-25-2021, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
If a guitar is tuned down one step or two steps, would this affect the action? If so, how?
1. Measure your action (neck-relief and string-height at the 12th-fret) tuned to concert pitch
2. Tune down to your required pitch
3. Re-measure your action at the new tuning
4. Report back here

Guitars vary, some will be affected, others maybe not so much, some others perhaps not at all. The only way you’re going to know for sure with regard to your guitar is to do it and see.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-25-2021, 06:51 AM

In my experience, tuning down a half step isn't always very noticeable when it comes to action, but tuning down a whole step takes some serious tension off the stings and the guitar will feel quite a bit different. My guitar lives tuned down a whole step at all times and I love it: the way it feels, sounds, and the freedom is gives me while singing. I will also say, if your guitar is going to live in a lower tuning, I'd take it to a good luthier and have him/her set it up properly for that tuning since guitars are built to live in concert pitch.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

It will take a bit of time for guitar to settle into the lower tension.

If left in a lower tuning very long, I would need to loosen truss rod a bit.

As my guitars re set for lowest action possible, and would buzz after a day or two.

If just tuning down for a song or two. It shouldn't be a problem.

Tune back up to pitch to even out tension and pressure.

If using one guitar specifically for drop or open tuning. Guitar should be set up with this in mind.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:01 AM

Just tune it down, check the neck relief, adjust the truss rod if necessary (some will, some won't) and the action should not have changed much. The lower tension on the strings (last time I calculated the change, it went from 165 lbs down to around 135 lbs on that particular situation) will make it play different, easier to fret, strings will vibrate more for a given whack or pluck, you may want to change the action height to compensate, but there should not be a big change from just tuning down. I do it all the time. I am personally convinced that E-E tuning is a left-over from classical guitar tuning, and that steel strung acoustics should be tuned D-D. Every one I do it to sounds quite a bit better, richer, more even.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
...and that steel strung acoustics should be tuned D-D. Every one I do it to sounds quite a bit better, richer, more even.
I agree 100% with this line of thinking. Tune a guitar down a step, get it set up for that tuning, find the right strings for that tuning, and you'll hear a much different voice from that guitar. D-D just seems to let them breathe better, stretch out a bit, relax, etc. I've been tuning down for almost 20 years now. No going back to standard tuning for me. YMMV.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:43 AM

I don’t understand questions like this. TRY IT! It won’t hurt your guitar. Just tune it down, play it, measure the neck relief, whatever. If you like it leave it, or, tune it back up. Whatever floats your boat. What I don’t see the need for is validation from the internet. Heck, give it shot!
Old 12-25-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
I don’t understand questions like this. TRY IT! It won’t hurt your guitar. Just tune it down, play it, measure the neck relief, whatever. If you like it leave it, or, tune it back up. Whatever floats your boat. What I don’t see the need for is validation from the internet. Heck, give it shot!
Well, the reason I wanted to proceed with caution is because I want to be careful with my HD-28 -- I'll never be able to get another one.
Old 12-25-2021, 02:22 PM

Thanks, all. I have found that as I have gotten older, my voice has gotten quite a bit lower. That's why I have my old Sakura guitar from the 70's tuned down two-and-a-half steps, to accommodate singing some of my songs. I thought that might have been the reason it developed some string buzz on a couple of the upper frets a few years ago. I took it to a luthier, and he fixed that.

But I didn't want to try this with my HD-28 without getting some advice/opinions first, which I thank you all for giving.
Old 12-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Well, the reason I wanted to proceed with caution is because I want to be careful with my HD-28 -- I'll never be able to get another one.
You will absolutely NOT damage your guitar by removing a little string-tension tuning down a step or two. Trust me on this.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-25-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
You will absolutely NOT damage your guitar by removing a little string-tension tuning down a step or two. Trust me on this.
Thanks! I will do that!
Old 12-25-2021, 03:00 PM

Before purchasing my baritone, I tuned down one of my guitars to C# to C# and used heavy gauge strings. [.014 to .059]

That worked alright but I found that using a baritone for the lower tuning was my best solution.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion