The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
JT's sound is probably 80% his technique, 15% his pick-up, 4.9% his guitar and 0.1% his strings.
+1
The JT "sound" that's burned in my synapses is whatever he was playing during the "fire and Rain" period.

So I guess to get that sound you'd want to get a good old Gibson J-50, or whatever he was using, with whatever strings he was using on that . Or was that the Whitebook guitar, be difficult to get one of those I guess..

I've heard him play the Olsons more recently, they sound great, to me. (Through the pickup and sound amplification system, of course)
But he still sounds like James Taylor.

If he played one of my guitars, my guess is you'd conclude those had "JT's sound" too.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 AM

I may have been the "original poster" who talked about Adamas strings and JT, and just now came across this post. As did Wade, I too saw that Taylor had changed to Pearce strings and have since gone back and forth between Adamas and Pearce, liking both. However, I did try the Pearce "Slightly Lights" and felt that those were just too light for me and have gone with the plain Lights. I may give them another shot, though, just to try to setle in on what I need, which for me is something that tunes easily, stays on tune, and doesn't produce a lot of overtones.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 AM

Updating to this older post. Since posting that I had not tried them, I have been through several sets, tried other brands ( again) and now have 5 sets of John Pearse phos. bronze coming from Just Strings. Thanks to Wade and others for the positives about these strings.

I put a set of the 600L's on my cedar/rosewood 00 ( the action is dialed in so it plays like lights) it sounds incredible ...I let my son borrow it just to get the affect ;now I have to figure a way to get it back. The lights make my parlor sound rich and satisfying. I don't know if the metal is higher quality or what the company does, but I can't find a string that sounds as good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion