The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2020, 04:48 PM

Default NOGD with Video

Hey All,

I took a chance on this little guy as I was looking for a small guitar that travelled well. When I say travel I mean on snowboarding trips, paddleboard trips, deployments etc...not just to hotel rooms. I also wanted something my 2 year old daughter could strum without me sweating anxiously next to her. It's from outdoorukulele.com and from what I can tell they got their start in uke's but essentially it's a carbon fiber composite polycarbonate material and roughly the size of a baritone uke. The scale is obviously quite short but the 1 3/4 nut caught my attention quickly.

In all upfront honestly I was pretty dismayed at my first strum, it feels like plastic, looks like plastic...and kinda sounds like plastic but after about 24 hours I've found myself picking it up every-time I walk by and strumming a few tunes. There's something actually pretty lovable about the little guy. I've come to appreciate it for what it is, a tiny, fun, durable 6 string. I was originally on the hunt for a guitelele which is pretty much the same thing tuned up a 5th, and according to the website these are interchangeable and certainly can take more of a beating than a wooden model.

The entire guitar is the same material save the tuners (which aren't bad at all, look like waverlies). It also appears that the body is all one piece (including bridge and braces) and the neck is all one piece (including nuts and frets) and bolted together.

It's currently string up with heavy tension classical strings and really does play great, while being kinda fun. It didn't come with a case but I found the cool colorful (and cheap) one pictured on amazon, also pretty cool. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a super small travel guitar that you can actually play most songs on. Would I bring it to the studio? Probably not but I'd literally bring it anywhere else.

I'm not a paid sponsor, just thought I'd share as I wasn't able to find much info myself before purchase

Bourgeois L-DBO All Mahogany
Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

"If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice” -Jim Croce

Last edited by DustyD; 12-18-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Very cool. Looks like it should travel well w/o a lot of worries. And nice it's got the 1-3/4" nut. I'm sure that helps counteract the "smallness". Love the gig bag.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Very cool. Looks like it should travel well w/o a lot of worries. And nice it's got the 1-3/4" nut. I'm sure that helps counteract the "smallness". Love the gig bag.
Thanks for checking it out!

Bourgeois L-DBO All Mahogany
Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

"If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice” -Jim Croce
Old 12-19-2020, 06:30 PM

Cool guitar and love the case!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion