The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-17-2024, 08:49 PM

Default In search of “classical” (?) guitar

Hi, all.

Seeking your guidance on a *possible* classical guitar purchase. I chose the classical section here, since I am wanting a nylon string guitar. Apologies if this should have been in a different section.
  • Newbie. Been taking lessons for a few months. Doing very well at it, but still very much in formative stages of guitar playing.
  • Despite the newbieness, I have several guitars (Martin 000-15SM, cedar Seagull S6, Yamaha FG750S (?), MIM Player Strat. Kindly don’t ask why I have four guitars when I am still a newbie.
  • Exclusively a fingerstyle/fingerpick player.
  • In my current lessons, I am steering my instructor towards my goal of wanting to play fingerstyle acoustic blues/folk/country/Americana. My lessons are on the Martin.
  • ….BUT, on a broader spectrum, I enjoy most any sort of guitar music.
  • ….and sooooo, often I get a hankering for that nylon sound, especially when my instructor demos something on his nylon string for me that always sounds sooo good.
  • I am also looking to add variety to the sounds around the house. Right now it’s all steel-string, all the time. Often a little softer would please my family. So, I’m thinking nylon.
  • All that said, I want to get a nylon string guitar *at the very least* for the sake of variety and to add interest to my practice, *but also* because I love the sound of classical guitar (been listening to it for years) and would like to dip my toes deeply into that water to see how I feel about learning to play classical music on a nylon string guitar. I know it is a way different discipline from just pickin’ up the ol’ steel string and strumming a few cowboy cords.
  • So I am seeking recommendations on two things (1) should I be targeting an outright classical guitar for this or instead what I have seen consistently referred to as a “crossover?”, and (2) depending on your answer to the first question, do you have recommendation(s) for me as to what model(s) to look at? Budget is anywhere from $400 (for the “dude, just get a starter classical” response) up to let’s say $1750 [maybe up to $2K] (for the “I know just the thing for you so that you can do it right” response. ) Also, because I already have the more mellow mahogany 000-15SM and cedar S6, I am interested in something a little brighter/punchier. I figure that’s spruce but am open to counterpoints.
  • In my mind, what I am looking for is something that is very well-suited for legit classical pieces AND beyond. The “beyond” is because (1) I wouldn’t want to play only classical on it if I didn’t have to, and (2) in case I pull all my hair out in trying to learn to play classical music, I would still be able to use it for other musical genres.

Apologies, for the wall of text, but I hope it is helpful in your responses.

Thank you!

Mark

Old 03-17-2024, 08:51 PM

Sorry if this is the umpteen-thousandth time this has been asked. I looked through this section pretty extensively before posting. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:12 PM

I suggest getting a classical rather than a crossover if you are going to spend some time exploring classical pieces and playing. You will also want to get some sort of guitar support to help with holding the classical guitar in the classical position.

Take a look at cordoba, Kenny hill new world player guitars.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:23 AM

I recommend taking your time, as you spend more time in the classical guitar world with lessons, practice and such you may come to realize the breadth of options is huge and your interests will evolve. Talk with your instructor and see if he/she may have extra guitars willing to loan out, some guitar shops may offer this to interested buyers.

If you want brighter, do you like flamenco? Then spruce with cypress b/s is excellent.

Cordoba and Kenny Hill make wonderful guitars in the price range you mention.

Short answer, be patient, seek advice of others, try a bunch out, and the right one will find you.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:26 AM

I would suggest you find out if the wider nut width and flat fretboard on the classical guitar is to your liking.

If not, possibly a crossover would suit your needs.

Good luck in your search!
Old 03-18-2024, 06:29 AM

There are enough "legit classical pieces" that can be played on almost any guitar (and sound good), and a decent classical guitar is extremely versatile thanks in no small part to how versatile nylon strings are (when I listen to some of the new generation classical players I hear a tone that somehow sounds more metallic than steel strings, if you see what I mean).
Do keep in mind though that good classicals are *loud* (in my experience considerably louder fingerpicked than steel-stringers of comparable quality) - but I can't say much about how they compare when listening from a different part of the house.

Given your OP I think you might want to look at Yamaha's offering, some of which have built-in effects that can apparently be very inspiring when not playing serious classical music.

Or something like this, where you could use headphones to leave your family at peace?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-18-2024, 07:01 AM

Agree that Yamaha classicals are the way to go. And you dont need to justify why you want one.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:03 AM

Wow, that guy with the Yamaha can play! And such a good looking fella too

I can definitely say I've been very impressed with Yamaha's nylon string offerings, as well as many Cordoba's I've played (though with Cordoba, I seem to like the cheaper models even better?) I currently own the one above, which is the built in reverb model CG-TA, and I also have one of their crossovers, an NTX-1. Neither particularly expensive, but they get the job done, and play well/are made well.

You can definitely also look into Kremona and La Patrie, I've used a La Patrie cheapo in my classroom for the better part of 20 years and it's a fine "starter nylon." La Patrie's were made by Godin, I think they might have retired the name but I believe they still make the guitars, they just now say "Godin" on the headstock.

Since you haven't been playing long, this is a great time to experiment and get comfortable on a different style of instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-18-2024, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Wow, that guy with the Yamaha can play! And such a good looking fella too
Somebody just had to say it?

Quote:
Since you haven't been playing long, this is a great time to experiment and get comfortable on a different style of instrument.
Yes, and I think it's generally accepted that learning classical technique is definitely not a pointless effort.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 03-18-2024, 07:48 AM

Very helpful answers overall. Thanks!

To answer this though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWer View Post
If you want brighter, do you like flamenco? Then spruce with cypress b/s is excellent.
Eh, first blush answer is no to flamenco, but then I must admit that I have never really checked flamenco out all that much. I'll do that today just to get a better feel.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 03-18-2024, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwallace1966 View Post
Eh, first blush answer is no to flamenco, but then I must admit that I have never really checked flamenco out all that much. I'll do that today just to get a better feel.
I think the suggestion was more to check out the guitars used in the style, which have a few specific differences compared to classical guitars that for some make them the ultimate crossover.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:58 AM

Keep in mind, flamenco guitars are good for flamenco...but not as tonally versatile as a regular classical...but someone coming from steel string might like the low action.

An incredibly cool sound though. And if you think you don't like flamenco, well...maybe you haven't heard this

(Playing like that is a lifelong journey/commitment)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 03-18-2024 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I think the suggestion was more to check out the guitars used in the style, which have a few specific differences compared to classical guitars that for some make them the ultimate crossover.
Ah, fair. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Just a few comments.

Have you spent time in the DelCamp forum for classical guitar? There are some for sale there, but also a lot of information on different guitars.

With a price range of $400-$1750 there are too many options to give advice. I would ask whether you are inclined to buy inexpensive and upgrade in the future (I recommend) or just buy a possible keeper guitar now.

You are only a few months in, already have lots of guitars and want to exclusively focus on fingerstyle, which I totally get and feel the same.

Keep in mind, fingerstyle is a fairly advanced technique. Classical style builds very slowly for this reason. Great to start working on, but some cautions:
1. It will be slow and frustrating from the beginning, so learning some strumming songs will get you playing music and having fun sooner.
2. Rhythm is as important in fingersyle as in anything else and learning basic rhythm and timing will be much easier if you spend some time strumming and working with a metronome. Don’t sacrifice rhythm training!
3. If you really want to learn “classical technique”, which is a boon for future finger style playing, learn slowly and follow a course specifically for that for a while. You won’t get good classical technique otherwise.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:16 AM

Thanks very much! Good tips.

I am aware of the DelCamp forum, and many of my Google searches on this topic have taken me to answers there. Great place. I haven't created an account yet, but I likely will in time, once I figure out what direction to take on this. Until then, I will browse around even more.

My tendency is to buy once and be done with it, if possible.

Yeah, I am absolutely aware that fingerstyle as a technique and classical as a style are both very particular and slow-going, but that's a "price" I'm willing to pay. I already practice regularly with a metronome both here at home and in my lessons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical