The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which wood should be used for the back and sides?
Rosewood 19 21.11%
Maple 16 17.78%
Koa 4 4.44%
Mahogany 4 4.44%
Ovangkol 5 5.56%
Sapele 1 1.11%
Cocobolo 10 11.11%
Imbuia 3 3.33%
Walnut 6 6.67%
Brazilian Rosewood 16 17.78%
Other 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2002, 10:51 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default Taylorforum Guitar #1 - Back and Sides

Bob Taylor has given us the exciting opportunity to come up two guitars using unusual wood combinations. He will build these guitars and have them available for testing at TaylorStock in August. Vote here!

Note: The system only allows 10 options. If you'd like some special combination like 3pc maple/rosewood/maple or something, please select Other and respond to this thread with your specific choice.

Since there are so many different combinations, once voting is complete we will vote on the top few combinations.

Last edited by J.R. Rogers; 05-26-2002 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:43 PM

Oh gosh, look at all the responses for rosewood of one type or another! Isn't anyone interested in an UNUSUAL combo?
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 05-27-2002, 03:29 PM

I am. I'm interested in a E.I. Rosewood / Redwood top...x10. That combo got one of my votes.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:50 AM

See my other response under top woods. Again, as the exercise was described by J.R. the point is to think out of the box and take advantage of Taylor's offer to experiment with unusual wood combinations why aren't there any unusual woods in the list? As of the moment of this posting the votes on top wood and back and side woods would result in a rosewood/cedar guitar. Hello! Anyone home? Where is the "new and unusual" in ANY of the choices - these are all the run of the mill Taylor choices, with perhaps the exception of cocobolo, but even that isn't exactly new and unusual given the 700LTDs that recently came out with it. Where are the choices for unusual? Let's delete all of the woods that are in the list above and try some unusual ones. Here's a start on a list of some less common back/side woods: Madagascar rosewood, African blackwood, Macassar ebony, cypress, myrtle, wenge, black acacia.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:25 AM

Thumbs up

My 414mace

got GAS?
Old 05-28-2002, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Koa top, cocobolo back and sides

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 05-28-2002, 01:06 PM

How about ALL maple???
Old 05-28-2002, 02:03 PM

Ref Jim...
"Where is the "new and unusual" in ANY of the choices - these are all the run of the mill Taylor choices, with perhaps the exception of cocobolo, but even that isn't exactly new and unusual given the 700LTDs that recently came out with it. Where are the choices for unusual? Let's delete all of the woods that are in the list above and try some unusual ones..."

Hey Jim,
I agree with your comments to a great extent. I do think that the real unique guitars are those with modified bracing, binding, etc..
I would love an "out of the box" Taylor with Forward shifted X-bracing, with unique taper, wood binding, progessive inlays that are different than the more traditional dots, or diamonds. While were at it why not throw in a JLD bridge truss in one of them and lets see a real out of the box Taylor sound.

If however we are going to stick with tops and back&sides as the criteria for manufacturing a unique instrument, I guess I'll go with striped ebony for B&S with an engleman top.

<><
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 05-28-2002, 02:55 PM

I like BRIGHT! I vote: Maple Top w/ Koa Back and Sides!

Size preference: x14 (GA) 1st, x15/x55 (Jumbo) 2nd.

Bill B.
Old 05-29-2002, 03:41 AM

I asked/voted for Ovangkol, but I want GLOSSED ovangkol w/cedar top for guitar #1.

Think DIFFERENT people. Steer away from the rosewoods!

-Mike A.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:43 AM

This may not be the right place to ask the question, but what the heck. It somewhat ties in to the thread.

I've heard and read a lot of good things about Korina(african limba?) as an excellent tonewood for electric guitar bodies. Does it only work as a tonewood on electrics or might it carry over to an acoustic?

If it would carry over to the acoustic realm, would it be better suited as a top wood or back/sides wood?

Jim

"No don't walk that way....there's nothing there" - M. Keneally

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion