The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2003, 04:23 PM

Default so what should i expect?

hey all. just trying to find a way to get me more excited and allow time to pass.............my k65 es w/ no cutaway and with presentation series bridge inlays is due to me in about 1-2 weeks. anyone have any good words towards this ax? i know this guitar is sight unseen, but on a whole what do yall have to say? i compared countless models and settled on this for my own reasons but i'd love to hear yalls opinions once again. anyone?

also, is it bad to keep a 12 string in standard tuning all the time? i've played 12 strings before but never owned one. just thought i'd ask. any input is appreciated yall........

mark
Old 07-08-2003, 04:48 PM

Cool

I think you can expect a fantastic guitar! Hey, it's a Taylor, and it's koa. I don't think you can go wrong. It's so much fun to get a new guitar. My JDCM came a week early. So, add that possibility to your anxiety. Kind of like a baby, I was happiest with the baby that came early.

AS far as tuning, your guitar should come with light strings and should be tuned to concert pitch. Taylor 12's are made for this. However, you can put medium strings on it, but then you must tune down at least one step. I had my 955 like this for a while. I recently went back to lights and have it tuned down 1/2 step. It's kind of a compromise. Tuning down gives me a little more bass, and the lighter strings are easier on my chording hand. Hope this helps.

Christmas in July is hard to wait for....it WILL be worth it!

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!
Marge
And wrap it all around you." John Denver

Guitars: R.Taylors: Style I Brazillian/Sitka, Style I Quilted Mahogany/Swiss Moon Spruce; Taylors: JDCM, XXX-MC, 954ceL2, DDSM, XXXV-9string; Larrivee: koa/sitka parlor
Old 07-08-2003, 07:20 PM

What to expect?

Be prepared to stay up all night. Get rid of significant other for about a week, and disconnect the phone and cable tv.
Deep rich bass, perfect highs. The ES is a knockout. It beats the crap out the best that Fishman ever put in the Taylor's. I speak from my own experience.

It sounds like a whole band.

The guitar will come with Elixir light gauge 12's. It is fine to keep it at concert pitch or lower.

Somewhere on Taylor's website they talk about Leo Kttke's 12 with medium 12's; but the guitar is tuned way down to C#.

I have tuned my 12 string lights down to C, and it still sounds great, just cant strum too hard.

If you don't have a 12 string capo, get one or two or three. All kinds of cute tricks by cutting slots in the rubber to get instant alternate tunings.

me jealous

Give us a shout when you try it.
Fender Steel guitars
MSA pedal steel guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion