The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2003, 08:38 AM

Played an older Guild dread a few weeks ago. Made me smile..
Old 07-08-2003, 09:58 AM

Guilds are well made, great sounding, guitars. When I bought my Taylor I played a couple of very nice Guilds (I really like their small body acoustics). Had they had pick -ups in them I would own one today.

I am a big fan of Guilds. I have owned a couple and all have been great guitars. I am especially fond of the Starfires. They are a great sounding, easy playing and very versatile guitar that offer fantastic value. I hope that Fender keeps that tradition alive.
CS Tele (Sherwoodforest)
PRS Ted
Guild Starfire III,
2X Dr.Z Ghias
Bunch O' pedals
Old 07-08-2003, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kidtwist

I think on a forum you're going to here about problems people are having. If this were a Guild forum (is there one?), you'd probably here about a lot of problems people are having with their Guilds and, if you didn't know any better, might assume that Guilds are unusually delicate.
I agree... any little problem tends to get magnified on the boards because folks are seeking advice or a shoulder to cry on. Imagine if every player posted a thread that said "I played the bejeezus out of my Taylor today and didn't have any problems with it." Probably more folks out there with good experiences than bad, but the bad ones stick out more.

Taylors aren't any more delicate than any fine instrument, most TGFers are just a little "meticulous" when it comes to caring for them. I think...

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 07-08-2003, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carolina410

Taylors aren't any more delicate than any fine instrument, most TGFers are just a little "meticulous" when it comes to caring for them. I think...
Well stated. A year ago when I joined the TGF, I was concerned about all the "care and feeding" threads and concerns on here. Enough concern that I was almost put off from considering a Taylor. Then I realized that some folks have environmental concerns that have to be taken care of for their guitar's sake and others just want a dose of prevention by doing what's best for the guitar. More of an individual basis thing versus every Taylor.

I don't think every Taylor requires an environmentally controlled room with 24 hour armed guards. You know who you are!!
Old 07-08-2003, 12:36 PM

I own a Guild that I love. I agree that the playability seems slightly less that my Taylors. There is no cutaway and no electronics, but there is more than enough tone and character to spare. Sometimes I just need a fix of those deep, complex and clear tones of my Guild. The Taylors are more versatile but miss out on some of the depth that the Guild adds to some songs. It is the difference between a Hammond B3 and a digital synthesizer. The synth is more versatile and a lot of fun but the richness of the Hammond cannot be easily mimicked. I don't want to get rid of either joy.
2003 410rces LTD
2003 Big Baby

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 07-08-2003, 12:58 PM

Keep in mind that few people on this forum own a Taylor that is pre-1990, and most people who are in the market for a new guitar typically do not go out and buy one that is 25 years old. With that being said, it kind of puts other brands of guitars in an unfavorable light, since those instruments have had more of a chance to get old, not be taken care of, and eventually start to have problems. Taylors have problems too, but you just haven't had a chance to hear about them yet. I've played Martins that were 70 years old and a testiment to the fact that guitars should last if you take proper care of them.

Comparing the two seems rather unfair. It is quite possible that with your style of playing and your preferences that Taylors are not suited for you. I prefer Taylors to Martins, but I also believe that Martin makes some beautiful guitars. Another option could be that the Taylor you picked up was not the right body shape - maybe look at the dreadnaughts. Also, another reason could be that the wood combination of that particular model did not reach your personal satisifaction - try looking at other combinations. And of course, there is always the chance that you just picked up a dud Taylor. It doesn't happen often, but there are times that even with proper setup and new strings that Taylor can roll out a guitar that isn't so hot compared to the others.

To me it sounds like you want the Guild more, and there's nothing wrong with that. Guild makes great instruments, and they should almost certainly last you for as long as you continue playing guitar if you take proper care of it. I also believe that Guilds will open up just as quickly as a Taylor would, but because the construction between the two instruments is so different, you should not compare how the two open up in the same way.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Taylor vs. Guild can do the deal

Quote:
Originally posted by bradley dr20

Guitars do not last forever. They are made of wood, and they will deteriorate. It probably won't be "dead," but after 55 years problems do develop, especially with guitars that are played often.

I'd give my left nu..., well I'd give alot for one of those 55+ yo Pre-War Martins that have been played alot. My 26 yo Martin has been played a ton and with only 1 set up since I've oned it. Several of the local TGF'ers have played it and it doesn't look like it's going to fall apart any time soon. It's in better shape than I am!
Quote:
It wouldn't be at exactly the same level. But I doubt the difference in the Guild in the past 3 years has been very noticeable. Eventually you reach a point where the guitar is as open as it will be. I was stating that the Taylor would open up as well, and while he would have to wait for it, it would eventually get there as well. Within 3 years the Taylor would open up.

Can't argue here...
Quote:
Because right now the Guild is 30 years old and the Taylor is 1. Like a person, a 30 year-old guitar will not last as long.

With proper care, there is no reason the Guild won't outlast the owner and the owner's kids.
Quote:
Sorry. I thought it was common sense that an older guitar would give out before a newer one.
Common sense? What are you trying to do, confuse me?

James
Old 07-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Guitar Honey

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralphies314ce
Aren't you comparing Apples to Oranges? 414ce Grand Auditorium to a Dreadnought?
I have to agree totally with this one. It sounds like you are comparing your Guild Dread to Taylor GA's. You need to go play some X10's to get a more honest comparison (what kind of wood is that Guild?), remembering as was said above, that every single guitar has its own unique properties and qualities.

I have owned two Martin dreads, and although they had more bass, they were dreads. I now own Taylor Grand Auditoriums, and wouldn't go back to those for the world.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Guitar Honey

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabe
It is the difference between a Hammond B3 and a digital synthesizer. The synth is more versatile and a lot of fun but the richness of the Hammond cannot be easily mimicked. I don't want to get rid of either joy.
I am sorry to strongly oppose you here, wannabe, but Taylor guitars do NOT sound like a synth in comparison to a Hammond B3 as the Guild. We have a few of each of those around here (the keyboards and organs that is, as well as the Taylors!) and I think you need to find another analogy! If you want to choose a Hammond B3 for the Guild, try maybe some electric guitar or something for the synth. I think you should leave Taylor out of this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion