The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2003, 04:14 PM

Default Taylor vs. Guild can do the deal

I have been wanting/shoping Taylor since I first play one at my local GC store( 6 month ago). Initally I fell for the 314 but after palying the 414, I graduated in desire to the 414. Was about to make the plunge, but it require selling my 1973 D-40 Traditional sunburst Guild(I am the original owner). So I had to make sure.
I did some side by side comparisons and......I just could not do it.

As bad as I wanted to own a Taylor, the Guild just sounded so much better. I had the guitar set up by a pro here in town some time back, so the action is quite good, though not as good as the the 414 i must admit. But the sound is just so much better in every respect.

I guess I like the Guild sound as it better suited to my playing style- fingerpicking light strumming and I like to throw those jazz chords around.

I love the sound of those archtop hollowbody jazz guitars.

On my last visit to make sure I was doing the right thing, I picked up a 514. Now, there is a guitar. But alas the Guild, while not as easy to play has move volume, more tone and more sustain
more everything. except a cutaway and big price tag.
I guess after 25 years Guild is just wide open.

Anyway, Cost/sound ratio is not great enough to do the deal.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Taylor vs. Guild can do the deal

Quote:
Originally posted by frybaby
I guess after 25 years Guild is just wide open.
That's the most important sentence in your post, IMO. In 25 years your Taylor will be incredible. 25 years from now your Guild will probably be dead. Plan for the future. Ideally you could keep both, but within 3 years your Taylor will reach the level that your Guild is at, and it will stay there for a long time.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:27 PM

Those 70s Guilds were/are indeed great guitars. Did you by chance check one of the revoiced Dreads (ie: 510) against the Guild? I'd be intersted to know how they compared.

If you've got a great guitar in the Guild, sounds like there's no real reason to trade it and much money for something else. There is always a better guitar and better deal somewhere, no need to rush into anything. 70s Guilds are harder to find than 2003 Taylors...

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 07-07-2003, 04:31 PM

I know it's easy for me to say but, keep the Guild AND buy the Taylor! I've found that I have regretted selling every guitar I've ever let go. Each guitar has it's own personality and variety Is the spice of life.

'Cat
'02 Baby Maple
'78 Martin HD28
Old 07-07-2003, 06:09 PM

I sure wouldn't mind finding a really nice 1960s vintage F-50 somewhere for a great price. Those are really exceptional guitars.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 07-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Imapickn

The only guitar that I do NOT regret selling, was a 414. Go figure.. I like my 314, and play it more than my 514, or 814.
And I love my D-55. I think you made the right decision FWIW(Just my thoughts)..
Old 07-07-2003, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Re: Taylor vs. Guild can do the deal

Quote:
Originally posted by bradley dr20
25 years from now your Guild will probably be dead. Plan for the future. Ideally you could keep both, but within 3 years your Taylor will reach the level that your Guild is at, and it will stay there for a long time.
Huh?

Why would his Guild be 'dead' in 25 years?

Why would his Taylor open up to the same level that the Guild took 30 years to do in only 3 years?

Why would his Taylor stay there for a long time when the Guild will die?

I'm very confused...

James
Old 07-07-2003, 10:11 PM

neck problems, i would imagine...
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 07-08-2003, 06:48 AM

I know it's tempting...but KEEP THE GUILD D40!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 07-08-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: Taylor vs. Guild can do the deal

Quote:
Originally posted by jmintzer

Huh?

Why would his Taylor open up to the same level that the Guild took 30 years to do in only 3 years?

I'm very confused...

James

I also am confused. That Guild is a great guitar and with proper care will stay a great guitar. I would hang on to it and save your pennies for whatever you want next. A 14 series would be a good match for the the Guild D.

ps - if you do decide to sell the Guild - please call me first
1987 Martin D-28
American Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Villager 12 String
Old 07-08-2003, 07:16 AM

Wink

Aren't you comparing Apples to Oranges? 414ce Grand Auditorium to a Dreadnought?

Old 07-08-2003, 07:20 AM

I have a 98 Guild DV52, and it the darn thing sounded any better than it does...well, you get the point. Like some others have said, my Guild is a great compliment to my other guitars, especially the Taylors. It doesn't replace'em, mind you, but there's more than enough tonal differences to appreciate.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:40 AM

Thanks to all who replied. The comments and suggestions are extremely helpful.

My preference of course would be to keep my Guild, I may just have to hold off and save up as suggested.
I wondering if a 514 cedar top though might sound to much like my Guild.

Anyway, a couple of comments on the kind replies.

Concerning the long term value and integrity of the guitars in question.
After 25 years , other than minor set up and action adjudtments I have never had any neck angle problem or any problem for that matter with my Guild.

I keep it in the case when not played,,but I have never used a humidifier. I even stored it in the case in a closet for a year once with the strings in tune. No problem.

Other than some dings and a few minor cracks in the finish she's a real beauty.

Which brings me to my concern about owning a Taylor.

All the talk about humidifiers, pickquard pealing, tuner tarnishing, string buzzing, etc. I wonder if Taylor are just to delicate for the average player. Seem like they need a lot attention and babying.

Best Regards to all
Jack
Old 07-08-2003, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: Taylor vs. Guild can do the deal

Quote:
Guitars do not last forever. They are made of wood, and they will deteriorate. It probably won't be "dead," but after 55 years problems do develop, especially with guitars that are played often.

Quote:
It wouldn't be at exactly the same level. But I doubt the difference in the Guild in the past 3 years has been very noticeable. Eventually you reach a point where the guitar is as open as it will be. I was stating that the Taylor would open up as well, and while he would have to wait for it, it would eventually get there as well. Within 3 years the Taylor would open up.

Quote:
Because right now the Guild is 30 years old and the Taylor is 1. Like a person, a 30 year-old guitar will not last as long.

Quote:
I'm very confused...
Sorry. I thought it was common sense that an older guitar would give out before a newer one.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by frybaby

All the talk about humidifiers, pickquard pealing, tuner tarnishing, string buzzing, etc. I wonder if Taylor are just to delicate for the average player. Seem like they need a lot attention and babying.

I think on a forum you're going to here about problems people are having. If this were a Guild forum (is there one?), you'd probably here about a lot of problems people are having with their Guilds and, if you didn't know any better, might assume that Guilds are unusually delicate.

2004 814 C
2003 714ce L1
Goodall TRD
lots of electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion