The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2003, 05:32 PM

I have two Cedar topped guitars, a Goodall GC with Maple b/s and a Lowden jumbo with Mahogany b/s. They are both very warm and rich sounding, but with superb presence and note seperation. I love Cedar.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 07-08-2003, 05:51 PM

I was perfectly happy with my Sitka/IR Rosewood until I absently happened to pick up a Cedar/Koa K14 one day just killing some time. Man, that ended up being an expensive way to kill some time, but an incredible guitar. IMHO, it sounds the way a 70 year old Adirondack topped OM should sound.

K14c Custom
http://home.earthlink.net/~jira/
Old 07-08-2003, 05:58 PM

I'm in the hunt for a Goodall RCJ with a cedar top....I have a 714 with cedar and it is terrific.

Simple answer........yes.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:44 PM

Generally speaking, cedar is warmer than spruce, but part of that may be due to its broken-in tone when new, while spruce (especially Sitka) will take some time to reach its full potential. Cedar also seems to be more responsive to a light touch. On the flip side, it has less headroom and tends to "break up" a little more easily under aggressive playing.

As always, however, there are exceptions. My 714, for example, has a lot of bite and stands up to strumming very well. It also has that that classic depth and warmth, but it's not really what I'd call mellow.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Cedar also seems to be more responsive to a light touch. On the flip side, it has less headroom and tends to "break up" a little more easily under aggressive playing.
Agree again - I've had to learn to strum not so hard on my 710 vs. the way I used to on my Martin - it's prob. been better for my playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion