The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2003, 05:04 AM

Default Nylon electronics

Anyone know if the ES system will go into the nylon series in the near future?

I'm going to try to check out some of these over the next couple of weeks with a view to ordering one but i'd rather not have the fishman blender barn door effort if there are plans for ES system to be integrated into the nylon series.

The NS62ce looks sweeeet...
Old 07-07-2003, 05:49 AM

Cool

From what I understand, the ES, as it has been designed for the steel string guitars, will not work on the nylon guitar. However, Uncle Bob did say that in the future there would be something developed for the nylon. How long this might take has not been mentioned at all. I think it's just something that may happen on the future. It could take a couple of years. I the meantime, I own an NS62ce. It's a great guitar even though it has a barndoor.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!
Marge
And wrap it all around you." John Denver

Guitars: R.Taylors: Style I Brazillian/Sitka, Style I Quilted Mahogany/Swiss Moon Spruce; Taylors: JDCM, XXX-MC, 954ceL2, DDSM, XXXV-9string; Larrivee: koa/sitka parlor
Old 07-07-2003, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Baggs hex pickup system on steel string guitars, but you ought to go find something in nylon with that pickup (or a similar one) to try out before you buy. It yields some truly amazing sound. You might see if any local shops sell Godin - they offer a similar pickup on their Multiac series guitars. I think you can order a Taylor with the Baggs system in it (they set Doyle Dyke's up this way, so I suspect they'd do your's if you asked).
Old 07-07-2003, 06:44 AM

Cheers... i'll see what i can find...

Are the L.R. Baggs systems much better than the fishman blender system then?
Old 07-07-2003, 07:09 AM

Default I'm a "plug and play" guy...

I have a Takamine DSP1 on my CD132sc. The "plugged-in" sound through the PA is incredible, and I don't have to tweak anything. But then, it's a complex pre-amp...and I'm really not a "tweaker"either.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 07-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Splatt
Cheers... i'll see what i can find...

Are the L.R. Baggs systems much better than the fishman blender system then?
Well, I guess that is for your ears to decide. To my ears, on the nylon string guitars, yes, they are better.

Here's a little more info on them:

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/pickups_hex.shtml
Old 07-07-2003, 08:53 AM

Lightbulb

To add on to Marge's reply, I think I read someplace that ES only works with the steel strings because of some sort of magnetic thing going on with ES and the steel strings. Such a process utilizing magnetism would not work with nylon strings.

'03 Taylor Baby
'03 Taylor 712ce
Martin 000-15
Old 07-07-2003, 09:24 AM

I thought that the ES system was based on a transducer converting vibrations / energy from the soundboard to sound and had nothing to do with the actual strings...

However the neck pickup could certainly be a magnetic pickup reliant on the steel strings... however how important is this? Woulda thought the majority of the sound would be based on the soundboard transducer anyway.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:42 PM

As I saw it reported in Taylor's magazine (wood and steel?)

There are two soundboard pickups, and a magnetic pickup built into the NT neck. Location is where the neck joins the body.

Anyway, in my experience with an ES... it is far superior to Fishman's best blender system. I played an 814ces and an 814ce(fishman) through the same acoustic amp, and could not believe how much difference there was. Kept going back and forth.

I will get an ES as soon as the smoke clears.
Fender Steel guitars
MSA pedal steel guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion