The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2001, 08:28 AM

Post need help...

I started up the guitar about 4 months ago and during the time I've been playing with a Yamaha F335 which I bought for $120. It's time for an upgrade and I'm very interested in a Taylor. I've been going to my local Guitar Center almost every day for the past week or so and played all of the Taylors the store carried. They all sound so sweet and it's hard to decide. My budget is about 1000. I need help guys. Thanks.

'08 McKnight "MiniMac" SJ (Cocobolo/Double Top Lutz)

I still love LA!!
Old 10-05-2001, 09:30 AM

What style body do you need?
Want cutaway/electronics?
What type of tone do you like?

To keep the $$ down, if you don't absolutely need the ce feature, then get one without. You can add a Thinline or Baggs later if desired. I recently inquired on the cost of a pretty little 414, and it was within your price range. It's still tempting, but I'm saving my pennies for the limited editions coming out. The 300 series guitars are a good deal, and they sound great, too.
Old 10-05-2001, 09:31 AM

Cool

A 310 should be a nice start. You can check out ebay and find a good deal in that price range. I would prefer the warranty that comes with the new taylor so this should be a consideration with your purchace. If you can wait a month or so you will start seeing specials coming up for Christmas. It will come early on high ticket items like guitars. While I cant mention price on the board. Shop around and take your money with you. The color of money makes the deal in your favor. Dont be afraid to walk away. You will see some real deals this year on high ticket low demand items. Ive got a salesman friend trying to sell me a new SUV(Durango) 0% intrest,5000 dollars off retail, and will pay me a $500 finders fee on my own purchace,lifetime oil changes, 100,000 mile warranty. Just may buy it. I just refinanced my home at 5.5% intrest(fixed rate)with the same lender. I told them come down on the intrest or someone else would. Its a buyers market and the same holds true for guitars. Americans need to spend money and lower prices is what its going to take. Take your money and go play lots of guitars 1000 dollars will get you a nice guitar no matter who makes it. Just find what sings to you. JW
Old 10-05-2001, 10:19 AM

I have a Taylor 410ce for sale in that price range....
email me if interested.
[email protected]
Old 10-05-2001, 10:25 AM

Last year's 310 koa, or special order a 2001 limited edition 410k without the electronics.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:30 AM

My budget just went up a couple K. Haha. I'm a former cellist and I've decided to trade/sell my cello for a new guitar. I bought the cello 7 years for 5000. It is now worth approx 10 000. I can probably get 8 000 for it. Now, I'm willing to dish out 3k, maybe 4. Any other suggestions? haha. Thanks.sd

'08 McKnight "MiniMac" SJ (Cocobolo/Double Top Lutz)

I still love LA!!
Old 10-05-2001, 03:24 PM

Others my disagree with me here, but I personally think it's a mistake for a beginner to buy a high end guitar (yes, even a Taylor). $2500+ is definitely in the very high end, $3500+ and you're in the range of hand-made small shop guitars. I personally don't ever recommend a beginner to spend more than a grand on a guitar, but since you are a professional musician you may be in a different boat.

Anyways, I have three reasons:
1) I feel like it's a good idea to tough it out on a lower quality guitar for a while to build up finger strength and accuracy while you are in the early stages of playing. It's hard to make a cheap guitar sound good!
It's good for your playing. Playing barre chords on the fast slim Taylor neck is a breeze, and I think you might be spoiling yourself. In fact for practicing, I often use my Seagull for this reason, or on my girlfriend's Yamaha. Switching from the Seagull to the Taylor makes me play the Taylor a lot better.

2) High end guitars are highly personalized -and you have lots of choices to make when purchasing one. Guitars can vary in tone, size, shape, wood selection, cosmetics, and color. It is not until you have been playing for a while until you realize exactly what you want. And I would guess that you are not planning to buy more than one $4000+ guitar.

And, as you can see, a lot of people on this board have multiple guitars to serve multiple purposes. I would think that as a (former?) professional musician you would want to do the same. You want to consider if you would rather have a few less expensive, but really nice, guitars to cover different styles, or one really high end guitar that does a few things really really well.

3) It's not until you have been playing for a while that you realize the subtle nuances between different guitars. This is really the same as #2 above, but it will just take a while for you to realize what you really want. After a while you might realize that you really are a Martin or Collings kind of player and not a Taylor player. Or you might realize you like all of them.

One more thing, if you buy a super expensive guitar now, you deny yourself the fun of having TAS attacks later. Keep the money in the bank - one particular guitar will grab you one day...

So anyways, I personally would recommend you buy one guitar that does a lot of things well, until you become more advanced. You'll have the rest of your life to buy more guitars. A Big Baby, 314, 414 would be versatile and good beginner guitar - not to mention many of the <$1000 guitars from Tacoma, Larrivee, and a few of the Martins.

Ken

(...but if I had $4000 to spend on a guitar, I would buy a Goodall RCJC)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion