The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2013, 12:55 PM

Default Peterson iStroboSoft vs clip-on/physical strobe tuners

I've decided to treat myself to a strobe tuner to see if I notice a change vs my usual method of "tuning fork/A440 reference plus ear" that I've used for years. I find digital needle tuners helpful only when I'm on stage, but never rely on them at home.

Having a couple of iOS devices, the $10 iStroboSoft tuner app really catches my eye. Has anybody compared its accuracy to the StroboClip or other physical/non-software strobe tuners?

I'm aware of the differences between virtual/digital/physical strobe tuners, etc. I'm just interested in hearing about experiences with the iStroboSoft app, and especially comparisons with non-software strobe tuners.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Just a quick bump - has nobody had the chance to compare these?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:51 PM

I've been weighing these myself. I like the iphone one but it doesn't
seem to include the sweetened tunings which would be cool to have.
The software one seems nice but I feel like having it on my phone or
the clip on would be more user friendly for me.

Maybe they'll do an upgrade to the phone version that will include the
preset tunings. if that happens then I'll probably buy it.........
Old 12-09-2013, 01:05 PM

I have the clip on and the iPad version. They are comparable as far as straight tuning accuracy however as noted the iPad version has none of the Sweetened Tuning options.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
I have the clip on and the iPad version. They are comparable as far as straight tuning accuracy however as noted the iPad version has none of the Sweetened Tuning options.
Thanks for your input! Do you find the sweetened tunings to be beneficial? Which one has become your go-to?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I am a strobohohlic. I have the iPhone and PC software, the stroboclip, the flip, the stomp and a real strobe from back in the day.

I've checked the accuracy between all of the "virtual" strobes (Peterson only) and find they are all spot on with each other. The phone app is good, but like any tuner that requires a mic (in the phone) ambient noise plays a part.

In the begining I used the sweetend tunings a lot. Even the standard acoustic guitar sweetener. Now I use them less, but still like a couple of the open tuning sweeteners. Open "D" and "G" to be specific. Most of the time I just leave it set to standard and find that using the tuner accurately (there is a bit of a learning curve) I get excellent results no matter what tuning I'm going to use.

Hope this helps.

My name is Mark, and I'm a stroboholic.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 12-09-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
Thanks for your input! Do you find the sweetened tunings to be beneficial? Which one has become your go-to?
My favorite go to choice is the ACU:

GUITAR
GTR: Peterson Exclusive Sweetened™ tuning for guitar, especially good for guitars with three saddle bridges and short-scale electric guitars
ACU: Peterson Sweetened tuning for acoustic guitar in standard tuning. Compensates for string deflection
DAD: Peterson Sweetened tuning for acoustic guitar in modal DADGAD tuning with optimized fifths
12S: Peterson Sweetened tuning for 12 String guitars with regard to the string courses
12U: Sweetened tuning for 12 String guitars; for the 6 higher octave strings.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
I am a strobohohlic. I have the iPhone and PC software, the stroboclip, the flip, the stomp and a real strobe from back in the day.

I've checked the accuracy between all of the "virtual" strobes (Peterson only) and find they are all spot on with each other. The phone app is good, but like any tuner that requires a mic (in the phone) ambient noise plays a part.

In the begining I used the sweetend tunings a lot. Even the standard acoustic guitar sweetener. Now I use them less, but still like a couple of the open tuning sweeteners. Open "D" and "G" to be specific. Most of the time I just leave it set to standard and find that using the tuner accurately (there is a bit of a learning curve) I get excellent results no matter what tuning I'm going to use.

Hope this helps.

Hello Mark CLAP CLAP CLAP
Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post

Hope this helps.

Mark, that is exactly what I was hoping someone would be able to tell me! Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
My favorite go to choice is the ACU:

GUITAR
GTR: Peterson Exclusive Sweetened™ tuning for guitar, especially good for guitars with three saddle bridges and short-scale electric guitars
ACU: Peterson Sweetened tuning for acoustic guitar in standard tuning. Compensates for string deflection
DAD: Peterson Sweetened tuning for acoustic guitar in modal DADGAD tuning with optimized fifths
12S: Peterson Sweetened tuning for 12 String guitars with regard to the string courses
12U: Sweetened tuning for 12 String guitars; for the 6 higher octave strings.
Interesting. It sounds like the sweetened presets might be worthwhile having. I wonder if they'll ever incorporate them into the software version.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:43 PM

MBE - I have both the Peterson clip on strobe tuner and the software version on my iPhone. If the two, I find the software version much more useful. They do more or less the same thing but I find the weakness of the clip on is its display. Makes it hard to really get the most out of the accuracy of that tuner.

When I am tuning, I just lay the guitar flat across my knees and place my phone on the soundboard. Doesn't seems to have more trouble with ambient noise than the clip on which is very sensitive.

For $10 I think it is a steal. Picks up the low e on my upright bass better than most tuners, a very useful piece of software if you have already paid for a smartphone.

I have never found much use for the various sweetened turnings and find that it is easy enough to tweak the b string by ear. YMMV
Old 12-10-2013, 05:25 PM

I have both and like the clip-on version much better. I hardly use the app. I basically have it for when I'm trying out guitar in a store.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 PM

tdan and Goodallboy, thank you for your opinions.

It sounds like everyone agrees the accuracy is equivalent, but the opinions on ease of use and/or usefulness of the presets are somewhat more varied.

I'll probably start with the app as an inexpensive way to enter the strobe tuning world, and based on that will decide if the clip-on with its presets are worth the money.

Thanks for your comments everyone, I just love how helpful this community can be!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion