The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

I've done fine there.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 10-12-2008, 07:14 AM

The part that bothers me more than anything is the sound/tone of an acoustic guitar. It's not necessarily that the seller is dishonest, it may be that he's hearing it differently than I am. Some guys aren't as particular as I am.

A friend and I were in Guitar Center's acoustic room trying out all the high end guitars. I had just tried a new Martin HD28 that we both thought seriously lacked in both tone and volume. It hardly had any bass response and was very dull sounding from E to E. A couple guys walk in shortly after I hung the Martin back on the wall and pick it up. After playing it for a minute or two, they both start raving about the sound. My buddy and I just looked at each other. When we left, one of them was talking to the sales guy about what he could do on the price. If this guy was selling this Martin on ebay, he would be raving about how wonderful it is, and he wouldn't be lying about it. His ebay rating could be 100%.

I agree if the price was low enough that I could resell it easily, it wouldn't be much of a risk. The problem I would have reselling it is, if the potential buyer would ask about the tone or sound quality, I'd have to be honest with my opinion.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny1948golf View Post
The part that bothers me more than anything is the sound/tone of an acoustic guitar. It's not necessarily that the seller is dishonest, it may be that he's hearing it differently than I am. Some guys aren't as particular as I am.
Denny,

The horse is dead.
Ebay is not the way to go for you.
I'd go to your favorite dealer and hand pick a guitar.
Ebay is a great option for some of us, but it obviously won't work for you.
Life is often a trade off. You can get a good price with Ebay, but you can't cherry pick.
-Sounds like you have an excellent dealer.
I'd buy from him.
Good luck.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:25 AM

Default all risks are at the buyer's end...

...dontcha think? I mean its pay up and pray that you (a) actually see something! (b) looks like the pics and (c) sounds as good as was described (and that's another gamble too). Been burnt buying other stuff on eBay as well and it's true, they aren't gonna help you much. That said, it's all about your tolerance to risk. To repeat what's been said earlier, it's probably down to price and the value you would be getting for your purchase that you couldn't ordinarily get elsewhere.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 AM

Default Buy on ebay

Denny,

I feel after buying and selling many guitars on ebay over the last 10 or more years, and as a player, more than a collector, that if you are buying your dream guitar to keep and break in, etc... play it before you buy. Either search ebay for the items close to you, that you could play first,or find one used at a store. I also highly recommend the classifieds in this forum for impeccably honest people, and great instruments. If it's not your main instrument, ebay isn't bad, if you communicate, ask all questions, and get reciprocal communication from the seller, and seller feedback is important.

Good Luck,

Andy
Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 AM

Look for multiple high resolution photos, request a sound clip (not everyone will or can provide one), and deal with folks with high numbers of 100% + feedback who specialize in guitar buying and selling. Reputable sellers will provide a personal contact number and even play instruments over the phone. Even if you buy a guitar that doesn't meet your particular expectations tonally, if you've done your homework and bought quality at a fair price, you will re-coup your investment on re-sale.
For those of us who are not fortunate enough to live near guitar shops with lots of quality new or vintage guitars, buying on-line is the only way to go. To be sure, I've found many gems from EBAY as well as some that didn't flip my switch because of neck profile or individual tone preference or whatever, but I've also had to return guitars to reputable dealers for the same reasons.
I'm always thrilled when I hear folks adamantly refuse to buy from EBAY - leaves more for me to choose from.

Tim
Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM

Every once in awhile I'll have a potential buyer ask me the kind of questions that tip me off that they shouldn't be buying a used guitar - much less a used guitar on eBay. It's not that they're necessarily too picky - it's just that they care about things that used guitars can't offer.

You may be one of these people
Old 10-13-2008, 11:59 AM

Just my personal preference but i will never buy a guitar that I can't play first and love. I never even consider e-bay as a legitimate source for an acoustical instrument.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM

My comment is only that I buy my Taylors from dealerseither by playing them and wanting them or ordering the next great LTD. Then I sell them on eBay for a fraction of what I paid and people basically get a new Taylor that was well cared for and barley played. So my buyers would say eBay is OK. On my end my next purchase will be a used Taylor I am done with the new ones and then selling off. I admit I have a GAS problem!

Too many to list & changes to fast to maintain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion