The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-18-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintClarence27 View Post
Most good combo amps are going to have a ton of modeling built in that will get you the tone you want.
Ouch. I can't go along with the word most. Nothing wrong with a modeling amp, but the great amps they roughly approximate are not modeling amps. That's why they try to emulate them. Try.

You're suggesting that analog amps from Fender, Marshall, Dr. Z., Rivera, Matchless, Kendricks, Suhr, Victoria, Soma, Friedman, and dozens of other brands aren't good. But they're leagues above and beyond most modeling amps.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-18-2024 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Ouch. I can't go along with the word most. Nothing wrong with a modeling amp, but the great amps they roughly approximate are not modeling amps. That's why they try to emulate them. Try.

You're suggesting that analog amps from Fender, Marshall, Dr. Z., Rivera, Matchless, Kendricks, Suhr, Victoria, Soma, Friedman, and dozens of other brands aren't good. But they're leagues above and beyond most modeling amps.
For sure I should have said SOLID STATE amps.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfarhadi View Post
Until very recently, I have been almost exclusively an acoustic player, and exclusively playing with the flesh of my fingertips.

For the past year, I have been immersed in theory and playing lead lines (to backing tracks), which has piqued my interest in electric. I consider myself very knowledgeable about acoustics but pretty clueless about electrics.

The only electric I have played for any length of time is a PRS SE Custom 24 that a bass player friend of mine took in on trade, and so gifted to me a few years ago. Overall, I enjoy it -- it's quite easy to play (especially coming from acoustics) -- but the tone/response is lacking when played with fingertips.

I would like to buy an electric in the $5-10k range (probably closer to $5k) that is better suited to someone who plays with fingertips. Ideally it would also be lighter and wider in the lower bout (closer to acoustic specs) but that is less important.

A couple guitars that have been on my radar are a Collings I30 or a custom shop tele with a hotter set of pickups (like the Texas specials).

I welcome any/all feedback and thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Like others have said, I'm not sure that you will get any more "response" by spending more money on an electric. The lead guitarist in the band I've just started playing with is a flesh player and his investment has gone into his processing board and amp. His guitar is a bolted together self-build of parts. But his touch on it, and his musicality, are outstanding. And he can dial in just the right timbre for each song with his set-up - from country twang through to jazz, soul and rock.

If your PRS is comfortable to play, and you have it set-up (strings and action) how you want - then perhaps the next investment should be processor peddle board/amp rather than a new guitar? We have Kimberly Rew (Katrina and the Waves) turn up to our local open mic' each month with a Squire Tele and a small Fender amp and a couple of peddles. He is in his mid 70s and still just rocks on that simple kit - sounds amazing!!! He is a very athletic player - and that cheap tele just works for him so well - its the "right" guitar for him ergonomically as much as sonically.

I think that, as others have said, the difference between electric and acoustic guitars is that an acoustic is "complete" - the guitar produces a timbre that is a finished product - and, generally, the more money you pay the better the timbre. But an electric guitar is just the kinaesthetic a part of a larger system - Personally, I would pay attention to the feel of the guitar in your hands, and as you say the PRS you have is a good "fit" - the timbre is something that you can create downstream.

You could always swap out the pick-ups on the PRS if that's a part of the chain you feel you want to amend. Although the usual reason for fitting "hotter" pick-ups is to overdrive the valves in the pre-amp, rather than increasing responsiveness to touch.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 01-19-2024 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Just wanted to update everyone.

I have spent the last couple months playing the PRS through the Champ40 often and have been very satisfied. First, I realized that I can keep play my acoustic fingerstyle repertoire exclusively on those instruments of mine, and be very satisfied with spending the other half of my time working on lead on the electric. This took away any desire I had to make the electric behave like an acoustic. And put me in a blank slate state of mind on what the electric should be giving me at this stage in my playing evolution.

Second, I realized that the PRS, to my fingers, is very easy to play, and that counts for a lot. (After ~10 years of acoustics only, playing 9s on an electric feels like a well-earned vacation. I also fiddled around with my Champ40 enough to pull enough dirt from it to scratch that itch when I want it... and realized that at the bedroom volumes I play, solid state probably serves me best.

I'm sure in time I will experiment with different pickups or pedals and likely a better amp, but for now I'm just enjoying what I have and trying to put the focus into just improving my craft.

Thank you all for your most helpful thoughts!
2019 Froggy Bottom H12 (Adi/Bastogne)
2023 Isaac Jang OM (Italian/Coco)
2020 PRS SE Custom
2021 Suhr Classic T HS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars