The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM

Talking N(cheap)GD hohner HF75

Saw this little guitar on ebay for a just a few bucks (I know we can't mention price on here but I mean very little) including shipping. My son has been showing his girlfriend a few chords and songs and she's catching on quick, but she's petite, and a dreadnaught was hard for her to play. Did a little research on the guitar, and decided to buy sight unseen, just as sort of a couch guitar, and figured she could learn on it as well. UPS delivers this afternoon, I open the box, unwrap the guitar, play a bit and WOW....this cheap little ol' guitar sounds amazing. I wouldn't compare it to the big brands, but for the price it is seriously AMAZING. I've played guitars that were priced much higher and could not even begin to compete with this little guy.
The guitar is a little 12 fret slothead, has a folk size body, with a solid spruce top, laminate ovangkol back and sides, and a medium thick C shaped neck... very attractive. It came strung with d'addario lights, action was decent out the box, but I did give the truss rod about a third of a turn, sanded the saddle down a shade or two, then strung it back up. It plays really nice now. The fit and finish is awesome, clean inside, frets are level with no sharp edges. The tuners aren't the best,(although they are attractive) a little sticky, but the guitar did hold tune well after playing an hour or so. If I could change anything, a wider fretboard and nut,(it's 1 11/16") maybe 1 3/4" would of made it easier to finger pick on, but I won't even begin to complain for the price I payed. Thing is this guitar is just so much FUN...I can't seem to put it down for long until I'm right back at it. I've been strumming, picking, and singing all day....Here are some specs:

Model HF75 Body Style Folk Top Solid Sitka Spruce Back/Sides Ovangkol Body Binding Multi-Layer Ivoroid Neck Satin-Finish Mahogany Fingerboard Rosewood Bracing Pattern Modified Scalloped "X" Bracing Bridge Ebony Tuners Gold Die-Cast w/Pearloid Keys

Nut Ivoroid Available Finishes NA (Natural)
Old 03-25-2011, 09:25 PM

I like my Hohner Essential Mini-Jumbo acoustic/electric guitar I bought a month or two ago. Nice sounding, easy playing guitar.

Congrats on your purchase. Hope it continues to please you.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 PM

I bought one too. Couldn't be happier. Cut a sound port and it sounds great. JJB pickups are next.

Regards,
Les
Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
bought one too. Couldn't be happier. Cut a sound port and it sounds great. JJB pickups are next
Where did put the sound port? On the upper shoulder? Is there any way you could get a picture of it? My guitar seems fairly loud, but I've heard these work well for softer fingerpicking. I also was thinking of some JJb's for this guitar and a Recording King RD126 I recently purchased.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:30 AM

Default Hohner O Series HF-75

I have had mine about 20 years. I bought it as a camp guitar to save my Taylor and Martin from extra abuse. While it doesn't have the quality of sound that these much more expensive guitars have, it is amazing for the price. Also it is the easiest to play guitar I have and stays in tune better than any of them. You cannot go wrong with this as a camp or travel guitar. I am amazed at how cheap they are on the internet now. I wouldn't take triple that for mine!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion