The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-28-2023, 12:06 PM

Default Short Scale Classical Guitar Choices

After a lapse of many years, I've recently returned to classical guitar. Previously, I played full-size (650 mm scale length; 52 mm nut width) instruments. Now, I am considering short-scale guitars (e.g., 630 or 630 mm scale length, 50 to 52 mm nut width; full-size or 7/8-size body).

I had been looking at Cordoba C9/C10 Parlor guitars, but recently, I discovered Pavan guitars and had a most enjoyable chat with Tom Prisloe. Consequently, I am now considering a Pavan TP-30-64, which has a 640 mm scale and 50 mm nut.

In addition, although it is above my current budget, I have seen a listing for a Yulong Guo Echoes classical guitar that has a 630 mm scale and 52 mm nut. This is also a double-top guitar, and this is a new technology for me.

It will be problematic to try all options before buying, and I am still undecided.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Last edited by Hypersphere; 10-28-2023 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Found an additional relevant fact to include.
Old 10-28-2023, 03:58 PM

Back in April 2023 I picked up a Cordoba Cadette (613mm scale length) and I really like it a lot.

Here's my NNGD post:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=668167
Old 10-28-2023, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Kenny Hill makes 630 and 640 guitars.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 10-28-2023, 06:07 PM

I own a Kenny Hill p682s New World Player classical with sound ports. The 628 model has a 7/8 size body and 50mm nut. It sounds fantastic and the action is better than any other classical I've tried. I can't get over how loud it sounds for a 7/8 size classical.

He makes two models of the New world classical, the cheaper estudio(only solid top) and the more expensive player model(all solid). They come with a Cedar or spruce top and a scale length of 615, 628, 640 or 650. You can also add some sound ports and an elevated fingerboard. They are made in china under staff he trained (In same factory cordoba uses I think) and then shipped to the US for the final setup in his shop.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

There’s a nice Cordoba Fusion 12 on Reverb…

https://reverb.com/item/74295126-use...ntent=74295126

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 10-30-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post
I own a Kenny Hill p682s New World Player classical with sound ports. The 628 model has a 7/8 size body and 50mm nut. It sounds fantastic and the action is better than any other classical I've tried. I can't get over how loud it sounds for a 7/8 size classical.

He makes two models of the New world classical, the cheaper estudio(only solid top) and the more expensive player model(all solid). They come with a Cedar or spruce top and a scale length of 615, 628, 640 or 650. You can also add some sound ports and an elevated fingerboard. They are made in china under staff he trained (In same factory cordoba uses I think) and then shipped to the US for the final setup in his shop.
Are you sure about the 7/8 body and 50mm nut width on your KH P628S? The Hill company told me that the P628 has a full-size body, although the nut width is slightly smaller (51mm). They added that the P615 does have a substantially reduced body size and a 48mm nut width.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersphere View Post
Are you sure about the 7/8 body and 50mm nut width on your KH P628S? The Hill company told me that the P628 has a full-size body, although the nut width is slightly smaller (51mm). They added that the P615 does have a substantially reduced body size and a 48mm nut width.
Thats funny they said that because their own brochure literally says the 628 and 615 have a smaller body. Check out pg. 2 of their brochure below in the player series section.

https://jedistar.com/pdf/hill/New_Wo...rs_Catalog.pdf

Not sure about 7/8 ratio probably more like 15/16 lol, but in real life my 628's body is definitely slightly smaller than my other full size classical. Other owners have also confirmed this in various forums. If you search for KH NW 628 most dealers (savageclassical.com) also list the specs for its body measurements and its clearly listed as slightly smaller than the 650/640 with a smaller listed nut width of 49-50mm. The 650/640 has a listed nut of 51mm.

Last edited by tribedescribe; 10-30-2023 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

I also have a KH Player Series 628/50 and enjoy it very much. My understanding is that the body is smaller than the guitars with longer scale lengths. Perhaps that specification has been changed recently(?).

The KH was my first decent classical. Since then I’ve picked up a Cordoba Torres Master Copy (made in the KH California factory) which has 640 scale, 51mm nut. It’s body is smaller than the “smaller” KH Player Series but is louder, has a fuller bass response, and has a very nuanced tone. I’m not sure how they did it but it’s a remarkable instrument.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

-Tom
Old 10-31-2023, 05:12 AM

You might want to investigate Japanese classical guitars, which can be affordable and of high quality. I found a nice Ryoki Matsuoka for a friend with small hands. It might require some sleuthing, but here is a an article on Japanese classical guitars from Classical Guitar magazine that discusses them. Matsuoka in particular specialized in short scales. The use of laminate is part of their interesting history, when the first master's guitars imploded in the US because of the difference in temp and humidity, many Japanese luthiers started using laminate. https://classicalguitarmagazine.com/...sical-guitars/. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Turkowiak classical guitar 640mm #504 “birdy”

Let me tell you about 640/51mm guitar I am ofering:
Turkowiak classical guitar 640mm #504 “birdy”

Discounted price 4000$ includes worldwide delivery.

Impressive classical guitar by Rafał Turkowiak, one of the most innovative luthiers of these years. Solid cedar top, African ebony body, what a beauty! The unusual off-set sound hole adds more vibrations to the guitar top and gives impression of more direct sound.

Full details at https://happyguitar.eu/shop/classica...0mm-504-birdy/
Old 11-11-2023, 11:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Turkowiak double-top classical guitar #575 – 640mm

Hi
I have this 640mm double-top guitar for sale:
Turkowiak double-top classical guitar #575 – 640mm

Turkowiak double-top classical guitar with a bit shorter than standard scale of 640mm, nut 51mm – spruce/cedar top, macassar ebony body

double top – Alpine Spruce from Tirol (top)(Master Grade)/ Western Red Cedar (bottom)(Master Grade)
back & sides made of Macassar Ebony (Master Grade)
elevated fingerboard made of African Ebony (Master Grade)
asymmetric Turkowiak neck made of flamed sycamore maple (Master Grade) with a natural Baltic amber crown logo on the heel
double African Ebony (Master Grade) headplates with a handmade logo made of natural Baltic amber
central soundhole with a rosette encrusted with natural Baltic amber plates and two natural bone crown logos
ebony smooth arm bevel integrated with the guitar body
nut made of hand-shaped and polished natural bone, width 51 mm, semi-scalloped
saddle made of hand-shaped, polished and semi-scalloped natural bone
highest-quality cosmo-black tuning machines, with ebony buttons, black aluminium rollers with bearings, mother of pearl screw reinforcements, ratio 18:1
African Ebony bindings (Master Grade)
natural bone side markers diameter 2 mm at 5, 9 and concentric diameter 4 mm at 7, 12 (double) inlaid with natural Baltic amber
highly-resonant, anti-static varnish (own recipe), hand polished, high-gloss
EVO-GOLD (nickel-free) fretwire
scale length 640 mm

Old 12-19-2023, 02:26 PM

Default Purchased the Pavan TP-30-64 Cedar

After considerable dithering, I decided to purchase the Pavan TP-30-64 Cedar Top Classical Guitar. I was unsure if the 640 mm scale length would make a discernable difference in playability, but it seems that this might be the ideal dimension for my hand span, which is about 8.5 inches (~21.6 cm).

Thus far, I am quite pleased with the Pavan. The build quality and aesthetics are excellent, it feels lightweight with a good mass balance between the neck and body, the setup is just right for me, the trebles sing while supported by strong yet not overpowering basses, and when I open the case, I am greeted by the pleasant mixed aromas of cedar and rosewood.

Nevertheless, I would still like to find a 630 mm scale 7/8 body classical guitar of comparable quality to the Pavan.

Thanks to everyone here for the many excellent suggestions.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post

Thanks again for suggesting the KH P628. Although I like the Pavan TP-30-64, I am still searching for a ~630mm scale instrument with a 7/8 body, and I am looking at a KH P628c. You were correct about the dimensions. The specs on the KH P628c are very similar to those on the Cordoba C9 Parlor or C10 Parlor, but the Cordoba prices are less than half the price for the KH. I am wondering how to justify the much higher price on the KH instrument.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I picked up my KH 626S used for less than the price of a new Cordoba parlor.
I’ve never played a Cordoba parlor so I don’t know how they compare to the KH 628.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
I picked up my KH 626S used for less than the price of a new Cordoba parlor.
I’ve never played a Cordoba parlor so I don’t know how they compare to the KH 628.
How do you like your KH P628S?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
cordoba c10 parlor, cordoba c9 parlor, short-scale, tp-30-64, yulong guo