The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2024, 08:48 AM

Default Heavy Strummer PickUp choice for new Furch Yellow

Hi Folks,
If all goes according to plan, I should be getting a Furch Yellow Deluxe Gc SR by end of week. I'm opting for the version without electronics so I can put whatever I want in it. I've been assuming I'll get a HiFi Duet as soon as they become available, but wanted to solicit some opinions here.

* I mostly play solo (and sing), so I'm not so concerned with cutting through the mix in a full band environment.
* I'm an emotional performer and can really hit the strings hard at times.
* I only finger pick about 10% of the time.
* Would like a system that also records well.

I've read some things here regarding the current (non-Duet) HiFi system that talk of distortion (bad) and/or compression (good?) with heavy strumming. Of course we don't know about the HiFi Duet yet, but I'm certainly wondering if the HiFi transducer part of the new system will have this characteristic, and if this might make it a less ideal choice for a heavy strummer.

The Furch has a Spruce Top and Rosewood Back/Sides. It doesn't seem to have the over-bright sound of a Taylor 814 that I had tried, but the wood combination makes for a bright guitar generally. It's Furch's Grand Auditorium Cutaway shape (very similar to the 814).

So I guess I'd like the opinion of any heavy strummers with Spruce/Rosewood Grand Auditorium guitars. If you have the current HiFi, what are your thoughts? Anyone have an alternate recommendation that fits my guitar and playing profile?

Oh, and I guess I'm a bit concerned about feedback as I've only ever used under saddle transducers live before. Do you think I'll need an external notch filter with this setup?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2024, 02:11 PM

The HiFi has a lot of output, but that output is clean. It's hot enough that it can clip the preamps of a cheap PA system or acoustic amp. Just turn it down a little at the guitar or have the sound person engage the pad and you'll be fine.

Couch Standards
Old 03-28-2024, 08:33 PM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphran View Post
Hi Folks,
If all goes according to plan, I should be getting a Furch Yellow Deluxe Gc SR by end of week. I'm opting for the version without electronics so I can put whatever I want in it. I've been assuming I'll get a HiFi Duet as soon as they become available, but wanted to solicit some opinions here.

* I mostly play solo (and sing), so I'm not so concerned with cutting through the mix in a full band environment.
* I'm an emotional performer and can really hit the strings hard at times.
* I only finger pick about 10% of the time.
* Would like a system that also records well.

I've read some things here regarding the current (non-Duet) HiFi system that talk of distortion (bad) and/or compression (good?) with heavy strumming. Of course we don't know about the HiFi Duet yet, but I'm certainly wondering if the HiFi transducer part of the new system will have this characteristic, and if this might make it a less ideal choice for a heavy strummer.

The Furch has a Spruce Top and Rosewood Back/Sides. It doesn't seem to have the over-bright sound of a Taylor 814 that I had tried, but the wood combination makes for a bright guitar generally. It's Furch's Grand Auditorium Cutaway shape (very similar to the 814).

So I guess I'd like the opinion of any heavy strummers with Spruce/Rosewood Grand Auditorium guitars. If you have the current HiFi, what are your thoughts? Anyone have an alternate recommendation that fits my guitar and playing profile?

Oh, and I guess I'm a bit concerned about feedback as I've only ever used under saddle transducers live before. Do you think I'll need an external notch filter with this setup?

Thanks!
Our system has lower distortion than the high gain systems mostly available.

The harder you play the more difference that makes.

goacousticaudio.com
Old 03-28-2024, 09:19 PM

I don’t think the HiFi will hold up. I had one. Ok sounding. It was a little bright.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:22 AM
Charter Member

For the gig scenario you describe, why not just use a mic'? As long as you are not eating the vocal mic' (you need to be 6"to 8" off it) then a heavy strummed acoustic is going to balance just fine using something like a SM57 about 8" off the 14th fret area (just avoid pointing the sound hole at the mic'). I would have a play around with just using a mic' first before fitting a pick up.

If you always sing on top of your vocal mic' and run high a SPL for your gigs, then what about a sound hole mag p/u? They tend to be a little warmer than a ust, and more feedback resistant. Get one with adjustable pole pieces so that you can balance the p/u for your string type/gauges and playing style.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 03-29-2024 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:34 AM

For heavy strumming I always advocate for LR Baggs Lyric.
I don't know if this is going to work in your guitar but I've tried the Lyric successfully in Gibson Hummingbird and in J-15.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification