The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 PM
The Foreigner

Default Question about Rasgueado

This is sort of related to my previous "Finger Independence" thread, but I don't want to resurrect that old discussion.

I'm trying to learn some classical techniques to complement my steel-string fingerstyle playing. On the top of my list is rasgueado (because it's so cool!!)

Thing is....the middle finger (m) of my right hand cannot move independently of the ring finger (a). So while I can still do rolls fairly well (i m a) I find it quite impossible to do a three-fingered rasgueado which involves strumming "a m i" since my "a" cannot extend without bringing the "m" up along with it.

I know those who have fairly independent fingers won't find this much of a problem. But is it possible to attain that independence while practising the rasgueado technique?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 10-20-2008, 11:54 PM

I've been trying to master the continuous flamenco rasgueado for a lot of years. I can get an even three finger thing and even a couple continuous cycles through, but to keep it going has been a challenge. There are a lot of combinations that work, from two, three and four finger versions.

But to answer your question, yes it's possible to gain better finger independence just through practicing these patterns. I've worn some pant legs thin practicing against my leg. My kids are used to me playing the steering wheel when I drive.

Sal Bonavita has an amazing amount of information and teaching videos on flamenco and classical technique. He has some great rasgueado videos here:

http://www.nylonguitarist.com/rasgue...ry_part_1.html

Use his "Flamenco Lessons" to explore the different variations. Slow is the key.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
I've been trying to master the continuous flamenco rasgueado for a lot of years. I can get an even three finger thing and even a couple continuous cycles through, but to keep it going has been a challenge. There are a lot of combinations that work, from two, three and four finger versions.

But to answer your question, yes it's possible to gain better finger independence just through practicing these patterns. I've worn some pant legs thin practicing against my leg. My kids are used to me playing the steering wheel when I drive.

Sal Bonavita has an amazing amount of information and teaching videos on flamenco and classical technique. He has some great rasgueado videos here:

http://www.nylonguitarist.com/rasgue...ry_part_1.html

Use his "Flamenco Lessons" to explore the different variations. Slow is the key.
Thanks again, David. You seem to know just about everything

I'm someone who's willing to work hard at improving my technique but unlike, say, simply learning to play scales lightning-fast (where the goal and progress are much clearer) learning to control a "stubborn" finger sometimes feels impossible, if you know what I mean. It's good to know that it can be done and I'm not just heading down a dead end.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Thanks again, David. You seem to know just about everything

I'm someone who's willing to work hard at improving my technique but unlike, say, simply learning to play scales lightning-fast (where the goal and progress are much clearer) learning to control a "stubborn" finger sometimes feels impossible, if you know what I mean. It's good to know that it can be done and I'm not just heading down a dead end.
I hope I'm not coming off like I know everything. I'm just interested in a lot of aspects of guitar playing and try to dabble in what interests me. Some players are locked into one style and do it well. I've never found one style that does it for me enough to ignore the rest, so I do a lot of styles poorly. I have explored some of the questions you've asked about so can offer some information.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:24 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
I hope I'm not coming off like I know everything. I'm just interested in a lot of aspects of guitar playing and try to dabble in what interests me. Some players are locked into one style and do it well. I've never found one style that does it for me enough to ignore the rest, so I do a lot of styles poorly. I have explored some of the questions you've asked about so can offer some information.
We may disagree occasionally on certain forum topics, but I think that statement shows how much we have in common

ohhh, that and our admiration for Ed Gerhard, of course

By the way, you might like to know that Ed has a new book in the works featuring some Sunnyland tunes among others. Apparently, he's forgotten how to play a portion of the stuff on the album, so he requested some of the tabs I've been working on. It would be so cool if some of my transcriptions are used as a basis for the book....well, I can hope!
Transcriptions

Old 10-27-2008, 04:38 AM
The Foreigner

So, I've been wearing out some jean legs practising my rasgueado and though I've gained some speed and coordination in the downward strikes, my middle/ring-finger independence doesn't seem to have improved. I'll keep working at it for the next few months and see what transpires.

But in the meantime, I got to thinking....is there any reason (besides tradition) that a reverse rasgueado (imac instead of cmai) wouldn't work as well? That I can do just fine since the middle finger extension leads the ring finger. Not trying to take the short way out here - just wondering if that's an option should all else fail

EDIT: Something that seems to help me execute a regular "cami" rasgueado is lightly pressing my fingertips against the fleshy part of the palm. That way, the fingers are kept curled before execution and I can more easily extend my ring finger. Would this be considered bad technique or cheating?
Transcriptions

Last edited by mmmaak; 10-27-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 AM

Why not try using
i for i,
m or a for m and
c for a.

While not 'official' guit tar picker nomenclature, my flamenco instructor calls it 'c' for chiquito i.e. little man i.e. pinky. There's another word meaning about the same thing, but chiquito is such a cute name it's the only one I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
This is sort of related to my previous "Finger Independence" thread, but I don't want to resurrect that old discussion.

I'm trying to learn some classical techniques to complement my steel-string fingerstyle playing. On the top of my list is rasgueado (because it's so cool!!)

Thing is....the middle finger (m) of my right hand cannot move independently of the ring finger (a). So while I can still do rolls fairly well (i m a) I find it quite impossible to do a three-fingered rasgueado which involves strumming "a m i" since my "a" cannot extend without bringing the "m" up along with it.

I know those who have fairly independent fingers won't find this much of a problem. But is it possible to attain that independence while practising the rasgueado technique?

"Epi" FT145-SB 1970-ish
"Stella" Harmony Stella
"Jean" not so old Yamaha FG something or other
"Tillie", Short for "Otilda" Applause classic AE-33 (had to have an "O" name.)
"no name yet" S. Armienteras Spanish guit tar

Not a fancy stable, but they work for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion