The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 10:36 AM

Default Charlotte guitar stores?

I'll be in Charlotte over the weekend and may have some time to kill (maybe not) and was wondering what stores to be sure not to miss and which ones not to bother with.

I'll be staying near the Carowinds area and I know my wife wants to go to IKEA.

I know there's a Sam Ash and a Guitar Center. I've been to plenty of Guitar Center stores before but never to Sam Ash. Any boutique, vintage, etc. type places to check out?

Just in case anyone is wondering, I AM NOT LOOKING TO BUY ANYTHING.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-24-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I'll be in Charlotte over the weekend and may have some time to kill (maybe not) and was wondering what stores to be sure not to miss and which ones not to bother with.

I'll be staying near the Carowinds area and I know my wife wants to go to IKEA.

I know there's a Sam Ash and a Guitar Center. I've been to plenty of Guitar Center stores before but never to Sam Ash. Any boutique, vintage, etc. type places to check out?

Just in case anyone is wondering, I AM NOT LOOKING TO BUY ANYTHING.
Midwood Guitar studio is new and carries some pretty high end gear. Other than that, you can come south a little ways into Rock Hill, SC and there is a shop called Woody's Music. They have grown quite a bit and carry Martin, Taylor, Fender, and PRS. I live in Rock Hill, and we are about 20 minutes from Charlotte.

I wouldn't waste my time with Sam Ash or GC unless you just have time to kill. Sam Ash's acoustic room is "OK" at best, and Guitar Center is a joke. This is just my experience of course and based on what I like.

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 01-24-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Chris...not really all that familiar with Charlotte but I'm sure others here will chime in. Closest stores/shops I'm familiar with are a little father north. SoundPure in Durham(?), Lowe Vintage in Burlington, and Pre*War Guitar Co. in Hillsboro.
Not looking=I'll find something I gotta have every time!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 01-24-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 AM

Default Charlotte

I agree, not much in Charlotte as far as GC or Sam Ash goes. Been disappointed every time I've stopped at those stores.

Harry's in the Raleigh area is worth a stop if you're passing through on the way to Charlotte.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 01-24-2018, 12:06 PM

I'm from NC and the guitar shop situation isn't very good. Of the stores mentioned here Lowe's Vintage isn't open on weekends, and Burlington is a couple of hours from Charlotte. The others are in Raleigh and Durham and are even farther away.

There are some good shops in the Asheville area and scattered around the state, but all are some distance. Enjoy Charlotte for other things besides guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion