The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2024, 10:12 AM

Default Godin A6 vs PRS Piezo

I've scoured the forum and read up on both guitars. I guess like many who want a hybrid, I'd like to switch between acoustic and electric sounds, and even combine them. This would be for stage use, normally bars and coffeeshops with ambient chatter. I'm not looking for a pure acousitc tone, close is fine.

I have a Multiac SA nylon, and love the neck on that. And have a Seagull dread, nice neck. So I like the Godin necks. However, on paper, the PRS neck sounds great and I know its a shorter scale. I'm looking to buy used, probably through GC, the prices are pretty close. I can't play either, I'd have to order.

Any recent thinking on the preferences between these 2 guitars? Oh, I bought and returned a T5z. Fantastic gutiar (I have a 712), but the neck was (way) too thin for me. That is why the PRS sounds promising with its wide fat neck. THANKS!
Old 03-31-2024, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Hi @DoryDavis - Just some thoughts from my experience.
  • I've been gigging a lot with the Godin A6 for the last 4 years. (The pandemic only limited my gigging for a few months.) I like that it's slim and weighs 6 lbs. I keep this guitar in standard & drop tunings only. (I gig with a 2nd guitar kept in open G or D.)
  • Agree about the Godin neck. Just so nice and friendly.
  • I bought my A6 used in early-2020 for exactly half the price of a new one, "as new" with the protective film still in place.
  • I think the piezo pickup sounds okay - we're not achieving deathless acoustic purity here, but it sounds like you are okay with that; that said, it is balanced and clear, serviceable. Godin's stock neck humbucker however IMHO was dark, murky, bass-heavy, pretty much unusable. I replaced it with a Lawrence/Wilde L-90, a clear, articulate & musical dual-rail Alnico 5 humbucker; the 2.0Henry option. Sounds awesome, esp for slide, and blends well with the piezo.
  • The A6 has proven very reliable at gigs, but has needed a fair number of adjustments for intonation. 2-3 times a year. Maybe I'm just spoiled? I have a 2005 Simon & Patrick Woodland Parlor; bought new and never been adjusted, tweaked in any way ever. So IDK.
  • At this point, at age 70 and dealing with major fretting hand issues, the A6 is the only long-scale guitar I gig with. It's got lighter strings now, the action has been minimized, etc. but I don't rule out replacing it at some point with a shorter-scale instrument.
  • Same experience with the Taylor T5Z. There wasn't much I liked about that guitar for gigging.
  • I have never played a PRS of any kind, so can't comment on that. Now I want to see if you get one and post about your experience. Particularly interested in the short-scale aspect.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 03-31-2024, 02:28 PM

I played a PRS HOLLOWBODY and thought it was very inferior. I bought a Godin Montreal older model with Piezo and two humbuckers. It's a 2006 in mint. It vastly superior to the PRS. Just saying. It is heavy so i will be sitting down with it.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 03-31-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post
Hi @DoryDavis - Just some thoughts from my experience.
  • I've been gigging a lot with the Godin A6 for the last 4 years. (The pandemic only limited my gigging for a few months.) I like that it's slim and weighs 6 lbs. I keep this guitar in standard & drop tunings only. (I gig with a 2nd guitar kept in open G or D.)
  • Agree about the Godin neck. Just so nice and friendly.
  • I bought my A6 used in early-2020 for exactly half the price of a new one, "as new" with the protective film still in place.
  • I think the piezo pickup sounds okay - we're not achieving deathless acoustic purity here, but it sounds like you are okay with that; that said, it is balanced and clear, serviceable. Godin's stock neck humbucker however IMHO was dark, murky, bass-heavy, pretty much unusable. I replaced it with a Lawrence/Wilde L-90, a clear, articulate & musical dual-rail Alnico 5 humbucker; the 2.0Henry option. Sounds awesome, esp for slide, and blends well with the piezo.
  • The A6 has proven very reliable at gigs, but has needed a fair number of adjustments for intonation. 2-3 times a year. Maybe I'm just spoiled? I have a 2005 Simon & Patrick Woodland Parlor; bought new and never been adjusted, tweaked in any way ever. So IDK.
  • At this point, at age 70 and dealing with major fretting hand issues, the A6 is the only long-scale guitar I gig with. It's got lighter strings now, the action has been minimized, etc. but I don't rule out replacing it at some point with a shorter-scale instrument.
  • Same experience with the Taylor T5Z. There wasn't much I liked about that guitar for gigging.
  • I have never played a PRS of any kind, so can't comment on that. Now I want to see if you get one and post about your experience. Particularly interested in the short-scale aspect.
Thanks for this response. This is the third instance where I have heard someone's disastisfaction with the humbucker in the A6 (along with a number of people that are happy with the guitar as is). I've zero desire to start modding a guitar I just need to take to gigs. Still, as you say the neck is great.

Yes, I wanted to like that T5 so badly, it arrived in great shape, not great but okay deal on it... i don't know why they make those necks so darn thin...
Old 03-31-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I played a PRS HOLLOWBODY and thought it was very inferior. I bought a Godin Montreal older model with Piezo and two humbuckers. It's a 2006 in mint. It vastly superior to the PRS. Just saying. It is heavy so i will be sitting down with it.
Thanks for this response. Can you mention whey you felt the Godin vastly superior to the PRS? I know this PRS is made in China, and the few guitars I've tried of various brands of China origin have been fine, but to me uninspiring.

I looked at the Montreal's, those are cool guitars. Do you get a good 'acoustic' sound out of the piezo on yours?
Old 04-01-2024, 12:17 PM

The reason i bought the Montreal is because the piezo provides the best acoustic tone of the many guitars I tried. It blends with the two humbuckers really well too. The acoustic tone can be eq'd with the separate on board sliders for good acoustic tone. I also use a LR Baggs preamp with eq etc. Cole Clark has a hybrid guitar that seems nice but costs a lot.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-01-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
The reason i bought the Montreal is because the piezo provides the best acoustic tone of the many guitars I tried. It blends with the two humbuckers really well too. The acoustic tone can be eq'd with the separate on board sliders for good acoustic tone. I also use a LR Baggs preamp with eq etc. Cole Clark has a hybrid guitar that seems nice but costs a lot.
Thanks. Yes, I saw that Cole Clark, and I think it sounds great. Beyond my budget at this point, and I am looking for a stage guitar that if I nick it up it is no big deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion