The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Epoxied Necks

So, in looking for a reasonably priced acoustic guitar, my research, and recommendations I'm getting keep coming back to the Seagull Original S6 - $419 without electronics, $539 with.

I have somewhat large hands, with long, slender fingers, so was hoping to keep the nut width up. The S6 Original has a 1.80" nut. Almost nothing else out there has that wide a neck, so my options seem to be limited. So far, so good, BUT...

Seagull has been using epoxy to attach the necks, since 2008. I hear that's not a good thing. Advice please???
Old 10-18-2019, 12:52 PM

It becomes a problem only when the neck needs to be reset, which may never happen or least for many years. If you find one with a good neck angle, which most have, don't hesitate to buy it.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:04 PM

Buying new you will be the original owner, therefore covered by the warranty. Seagull doesn’t consider the epoxied necks to be resettable and will replace outright — if the need ever arises. It is a bit riskier buying used without the warranty.
Watch out for the newer slim version with a 1.72” nut.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

The other consideration is whether you'd pay to have a neck reset on a $500 guitar, if it is going to cost over half its price (even if it wasn't epoxied!), or probably as much, if you factor in a refret that usually needs done at the same time.

It's one of those things that sends inexpensive guitars to the thrift shop donation box, back of some closet or attic corner, or occasionally the dumpster. You might love your Squier but now it needs a refret that costs as much as the whole guitar? Maybe you just upgrade at that point, by which time you should have gotten your money out of it.

FWIW, I have a (and know of another) guitar with an epoxied neck that's still playable and will turn 40 next year. It has (both have!) been thoroughly abused, but its useful life will end before another decade goes by. I am certain by that point I won't care .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion