The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2021, 09:10 AM

Default Strange Phenomenon with Classical Guitar Cushion

A while ago I bought a Dynarette classical guitar cushion in size large:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0194...b_b_asin_title
I had read mixed reviews, especially regarding its effect on tone. I used it a little with my Guild GF-30 (since sold) and gave up on it quickly. It absolutely killed that guitar’s wonderful tone. I’ve since switched to a Waterloo WL-K and after looking at a video posted here about posture and health I decided to give it a quick try. The effect on tone was either nonexistent or negligible, while the comfort was much greater than using a footstool. The guitar is more stable when I play it too. I’m not sure what the difference in effect on tone might be down to. The WL-K is way more lightly built than the Guild was.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:38 AM

I went with an ErgoPlay. I’ve seen them used by a decent number of YouTubers, and it only contacts the ribs in a minimal number of places.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dude View Post
I went with an ErgoPlay. I’ve seen them used by a decent number of YouTubers, and it only contacts the ribs in a minimal number of places.
Thanks but I’m pretty happy with the cushion with this particular guitar. I’m more curious to hear if anyone has a theory about the difference in its effect on tone between the two guitars.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I have and use the Dynarette cushion and have not noted any difference in sound between it and the Mundo support, or between various guitars.

I’m not sure how to explain your experience.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I use a NeckUp on all of my acoustics and the Sagework on my classicals. I have a large Dynarette pillow and occasionally I grab it to play on the couch or outside and I’ve never noticed a change in tone. Mine only contacts the guitar on the sides which do not vibrate like the back and especially the top. I actually think all the supports including the pillow enhance tone as you have better posture which leads to no slouching and leaning against the back or laying the arm on the top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion