The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Impressive factory tour video of Takamine

There's so much in common with guitar-factory tour videos that they all start to be similar. You've got your wood stores and drying, top cutting, side bending, braces vacuum setting, binding, neck carving, etc.

I thought this one from Takamine was very interesting. I Know they make quality instruments with a great performer acceptance of their pickup systems. I was impressed by how much old-school hand work goes into these.

The skill of the craftsman carving the braces was incredible to watch (starting at 6:39) - and they only had four of these craftsman that touch every guitar.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-18-2021, 02:51 PM

The attention to detail is impressive. I enjoyed watching this video back when I was researching Takamines last spring. I’ve had my GB7C for about 6 months now and I’m constantly picking it up over my Taylors. I still love the Taylors but the quality, workmanship and acoustic tone of the Tak gives up nothing to the Taylors.

I really hate they have the only good for plugged in tone reputation on these forums.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:33 PM

thanks for the video, so interesting to see their process.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! I really enjoyed watching.

I was interested particularly in the section at the beginning on wood in light of the BRW thread ongoing here at the moment.

The skill of the crafts folk was lovely to see.

And the section on the neck to body stability, using maple box rods, reminded me of the solution Godin uses and a couple of other makes. It does confuse me why brands persist with a neck to body attachment for a steel strung acoustic that's such an obvious design flaw and a historical hangover from gut strung guitar days. I like the approach of Takamine shown in this video: build it right in the first place and it will never need a neck reset.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Yes sir, I watched this a few months ago and it was very impressive for sure. I do remember this section you point out specifically. I think I stopped and backed it up around five times. Those are some awesome tools. Probably very high quality chisels like their great knives and swords.

2020 Martin GPC-15ME Streetmaster

2021 Eastman AC622CE

SOLD - 1995 Larrivee Jumbo (J-19) with lots of custom blingwork, Sitka over EIR

2024 Larrivee OM-3, Moon over Bhilwara

2018 Taylor 712e, 12 Fret Slot Head, Western Burst

2022 Furch Red DSR Stunning!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion