The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2020, 07:22 AM

Default Taylor 110e thoughts.

2 years ago I obtained a second hand nearly new Taylor GS mini which I found to be an excellent instrument during my initial guitar playing adventures. Then I invested in a full size Tanglewood TW130.I really appreciate the sound & build of the Taylor but am finding the instruments smaller scale quite difficult to negotiate after the full size guitar. Hopefully I will be able to visit a Taylor stockist in the UK very shortly as stores open to actually try out a 110e as I have been offered a decent part exchange deal on a new 110 e. My question before I visit is do people who have experienced playing both the Mini & the 110e notice themselves a greater degree of playability because of the scale difference.

I would like to have a couple of guitars to play with ( but no more as I do not have the space for a herd) I am also tempted by the idea of a decent, probably used 12 string but have not yet convinced myself this is the path to take.

Keep safe
Old 06-14-2020, 07:40 AM

I too started with a mini and although I thoroughly enjoyed the sound and comfort of a smaller guitar, I could could not bond with the short scale. Others, who are much more experienced than I, seem to adjust accordingly with no issue. I believe Taylor builds a quality guitar and the necks are suitable to my needs. At present I own a Taylor Academy 12, non electric, (available as 12e), which has the beveled armrest and very, very comfortable to play. This is the Grand Concert size model. Others with more experience will chime in. Good luck in your search!
Old 06-14-2020, 09:02 AM

Hey Pit Pony, given you have a full scale length Tanglewood you already know how a full scale guitar feels in your hands. As far as the 110e goes, I say go for it. Very nice guitar that will last a lifetime. Like the GS Mini, the 110e is also a stepping stone but to the 300 series. A used 300 series is a great guitar but I imagine that's also a price jump which may not be what you want.

As fun as the GS Mini is to play, the tone from a dread or GA/OM guitar sounds so much fuller.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:00 PM

The issue is less the short scale as much as the short scale combined with a really narrow nut.

Combined these make for a pretty cramped fingerboard.

So, in general I would probably find the 110 easier to play, although I find dreadnoughts to be pretty big guitars, so I'd rather have a 114.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-14-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
The issue is less the short scale as much as the short scale combined with a really narrow nut.

Combined these make for a pretty cramped fingerboard.

So, in general I would probably find the 110 easier to play, although I find dreadnoughts to be pretty big guitars, so I'd rather have a 114.
+1. The request for a wider nut is the most common comment I've read about the GS Mini over the years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion