The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2014, 05:58 AM

Default Old-style guitar tutors before CDs and DVDs

Just wondering ... what favourites do folks have for those old-style guitar tutors that became more available in the 1960's and early-to-late 70's before it became almost essential to include CDs and DVD's?

This thought was sparked when I rummaged through my own collection with a view to deciding what to pass on to our local Oxfam bookshop. After a fair bit of thought, I came to the conclusion that of all the ones I still had, the ones I liked the most were the trio written by Harry Taussig ...

Teach Yourself Guitar
Folk-Style Guitar
Advanced Guitar (A Guide to Intermediate and Advanced Fingerpicking Techniques)

I liked the way that each book covered a very specific topic. TYG covered melody and basic tab (he used both notation and tab). FSG moved into fingerstyle playing, and AG went a whole lot further with fingerstyle.

For some, a drawback would have been the fact that he based his teaching on American and Appalachian tunes and songs, but that didn't worry me.

I was surprised and pleased to find that Harry T's only set of folksong and instrumental recordings are still available on CD, so that's now on order.

-----------------------------------------------

The other tutor which I remember liking - although it was VERY heavy on text and wasn't as well developed as Harry T's books - was 'Frets and Fingers' by John Pearse.

-----------------------------------------------

I've only stuck to tutors for acoustic books or this thread because of the context of this forum. So what other favourites do folks have from those halcyon (??) days before digital coverdisks became the norm?
Lag parlour electro
Admira Capricho (classical)
------------------ Electric ------------------
PRS Semi-Hollow (Sublime to play)
Vintage V100 'Flamed Iced Tea'
Epiphone Invader ("Wot??" I hear you say)
------------------ Other -------------------
Brunswick Baritone BU4B ukelele
Pono MBE baritone ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar tutor books