The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-16-2024, 03:22 PM

Default Paul Simon Train in the Distance Acoustic Demo version

I'm listening to the acoustic demo version of Train in the Distance by Paul Simon (lovely recording) and trying to nail how he plays it.

It's in drop D and right near the start he plays a G chord and slides down a major sixth above that.

Code:
e |-----------------|
B |-----------------|
G |----------6\4----|
D |-----------------|
A |------7    \5----|
D |--5--------------|
I hear the low G sustain through the slide. Seems a bit tricky, I can just about do it holding my thumb on the lowest string for the slide. Is that likely to be how he's playing it? Or is there another way?

Last edited by thesheep; Yesterday at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:12 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

The A is tuned to drop G. That's how it sustains. It's played as an open string.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:51 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

D |----------------| (treble side)
A |----------------|
G |----------------|
D |----------------|
G |----------------|
D |----------------| (bass side)

When I listened to it, this is the tuning I heard/saw in my head. I have never played this before. Honestly, I've never heard this before.

I think I'm pretty close, though. I might spend some time on it this week. It's got a cool swing/jazz vibe to it.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post

When I listened to it, this is the tuning I heard/saw in my head. I have never played this before. Honestly, I've never heard this before.

I think I'm pretty close, though. I might spend some time on it this week. It's got a cool swing/jazz vibe to it.
Oh wow. That's brilliant! I think you must be right, it seems so much easier to play with that tuning. Thanks that will help me a lot!
Old 04-17-2024, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
D |----------------| (treble side)
A |----------------|
G |----------------|
D |----------------|
G |----------------|
D |----------------| (bass side)
Hey I had another close listen to it and I don't think your version is quite right yet. Paul Simon is definitely playing G then an E. Your version on your YouTube video you have the G then a D on the open string. Not sure how you'd fret that E on DGDGAD tuning?

FWIW here's my attempt to play it on Drop D tuning, slightly uncomfortable maybe: https://youtu.be/4tyE5gwHBKg

Last edited by thesheep; 04-17-2024 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:43 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheep View Post
Hey I had another close listen to it and I don't think your version is quite right yet. Paul Simon is definitely playing G then an E. Your version on your YouTube video you have the G then a D on the open string. Not sure how you'd fret that E on DGDGAD tuning?

FWIW here's my attempt to play it on Drop D tuning, slightly uncomfortable maybe: https://youtu.be/4tyE5gwHBKg
I think you've got it! Nicely done... I tuned to make it easy (for me) and just based on what I was hearing. For me, close is usually good enough.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:03 PM

I solved this in the end. Actually TheGITM and I were sort of both right and both wrong.

As usual the answer is much simpler than I first thought. Paul Simon is just playing in standard tuning but tuned down a whole tone. Everything then falls under the hands much better. I'll maybe post a video on here when I've learned it properly.

I guess he probably just tuned down so the song suited his voice better.
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

This is where I've got to.

It isn't quite what Paul Simon plays. He doesn't seem to be playing a straight Travis Picking pattern, some of his base notes come early at the end of the previous bar. And I'm not sure if he plays whole chord shapes like I am here, or if he just plays individual notes, or maybe a mixture. Pretty hard to get it exactly right!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write