The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-24-2024, 02:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Tele Neck Pickup comparison - four different pickups

Hi folks!

I have a few cool tele style guitars in the shop and noticed that they all have different neck pickups...so I thought why not do a comparison video?!

I quickly found that comparisons among electric guitars is quite different than comparison videos of acoustic instruments - so much of their sound is manipulated in the amplification. So, even though if performing I would set amp/effect/guitar tone settings differently with each of these guitars, for this video every guitar has the same amp settings, the same mic placement and all are of the neck pickup with the guitars' volume and tone settings at full "10". All are "clean", no overdrive, but a little reverb on the amp (Fender Tone Master Super Reverb), recorded with a condenser microphone.

I realize that all of these guitars have different body woods, different hardware, etc. which also influences their tone. But I think there might be some value to direct comparisons, and hopefully this will be of interest to telecaster fans out there. (Unfortunately, I don't have a P-90 tele in the shop right now). Here are the guitars and the neck pickups on each:

1. Larrivee Baker-T Pro: custom Larrivee single coil neck pickup.
2. Shabat Lion GB: Lollar Charlie Christian neck pickup.
3. Shabat Lion Special: Lollar "Lollartron" neck pickup.
4. Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (2005): Fender SCN noiseless neck pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars