The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2024, 08:10 AM

Maybe not quite as handy, but easier to see and more accurate. https://www.amazon.com/Korg-GA30-Ult.../dp/B000EB68VK
Old 04-30-2024, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Maybe not quite as handy, but easier to see and more accurate. https://www.amazon.com/Korg-GA30-Ult.../dp/B000EB68VK
More accurate than Peterson or TCE Unitune/Polytune? No actual information re that unit's accuracy in the Amazon ad you linked to, but I have to say that I doubt it's any more accurate than my Peterson Stroboclip HD or my TCE Unitune and Polytune.

For ease of visibility outdoors in sunlight, I've never had a problem with my TCEs.

The usual disclaimers apply - IMHO, YMMV.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-30-2024, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Technical "accuracy" is a bit of non-issue, and a bit off topic as this thread is about visibility.

Tuner "accuracy" is generally down to how you are going to use it. Visibility is important, as is time of response. Some tuners are just too darn slow at reading what's going on to be useful. Others have a tendency to get confused by harmonics. Others are just difficult to read in the real world of a gig stage - particularly if you are changing tunings on a banjo!

The manufacturer's given accuracy is no use if the screen doesn't give you that precision in a useful and readable display that works for you when under time pressure.

I like the TC Unitune. And I know a lot of folks here like the TC Unitune. It is easy to read with its big bright display. The "green cross" is a good system to see at a gig. The tuner reacts very quickly. You can move from string to string quickly across a held down chord shape to check the tuning in real time. It displays the note names - great for capo tunings and alt tunings. It's technical accuracy using the green cross display may be lower than other tuners - but in a practical sense it is the most accurate and fasted tuner that I have used.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Almost all clip on tuners are LCD, either monochrome or full color.
Not that I doubted what @Rudy4 said, but made me question whether my clip-on tuner used LCD or LED (I have a TC Electronic PolyTune, and it has an LED display). Using Sweetwater's search feature ('cuz that's where I purchased my tuner), found what they have available:
  • LCD: 34
  • LED: 20
  • Strobe:10
But that's off thread ... so took my tuner outside and sure enough, in direct sun, pretty much useless. Cupping my had over and can see the display fine. (But then I'd need a third hand to really efficiently tune.)

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 04-30-2024, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaveez View Post
But that's off thread ... so took my tuner outside and sure enough, in direct sun, pretty much useless. Cupping my had over and can see the display fine. (But then I'd need a third hand to really efficiently tune.)
Get one of these:

https://www.academy.com/p/z-shade-ve...mercial-canopy

Then you and your gear can stay cooler and you can see your tuner.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-30-2024, 02:35 PM

I car read my TC Electronics Unitune easily in direct sun.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
Get one of these:

Sometimes. I have one. In Maine, the sun is never directly overhead, so the canopy doesn't always keep the sun off my tuner.

So I bought a tuner I could see in direct sun. It's like Click and Clack used to say: There are no problems, only excuses to buy new tools.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Not that I doubted what @Rudy4 said, but made me question whether my clip-on tuner used LCD or LED (I have a TC Electronic PolyTune, and it has an LED display). Using Sweetwater's search feature ('cuz that's where I purchased my tuner), found what they have available:
  • LCD: 34
  • LED: 20
  • Strobe:10
You'll have to modify your count.

Most of the Strobe tuners listed actually have LCD displays. The only two true strobe tuners that don't have LCD displays are the mechanical rotary wheel tuners which sell for around a $1000. I've used true Conn strobe tuners and they are visible in sunlight but not many folks want to carry them around!
Old 04-30-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You'll have to modify your count.

Most of the Strobe tuners listed actually have LCD displays. The only two true strobe tuners that don't have LCD displays are the mechanical rotary wheel tuners which sell for around a $1000. I've used true Conn strobe tuners and they are visible in sunlight but not many folks want to carry them around!
D'oh! I just used this filter Clip-On Guitar Tuners and looked at the "Display Type" That's where I got the numbers.

Thank you, for taking a little more time to reply and help educate me. (Really. All here to learn from each other.)

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 04-30-2024, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Sometimes. I have one. In Maine, the sun is never directly overhead, so the canopy doesn't always keep the sun off my tuner.

So I bought a tuner I could see in direct sun. It's like Click and Clack used to say: There are no problems, only excuses to buy new tools.
I was a boat guy for decades. The boat guys always say “its not the boat that gets you, its all those accessories”. Kinda applies to guitar players as well…
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-30-2024, 07:26 PM

I called Sweetwater today and the guy I talked with said he has the same problem. He can't findany that work for him either;could not recommend one. ..I CAN'T be the only guy with this problem. It happens year after year ;when outdoor gigs pop up!
Old 04-30-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
....I CAN'T be the only guy with this problem. It happens year after year ;when outdoor gigs pop up!
You might be. Like I posted way earlier, the sound-hole mounted D'Addario is protected from direct light. If you ignore that, you may remain - unable to see your tuner. Also, as mentioned, there a numerous tuner pedals and multi-effect boards/pedals that have very visible tuners. Ignore all of those, and you get what you get. Additionally, why aren't you under a canopy, pergola, tent, porch, pavillion.... something. Ridiculous to be out in the open sunlight. I wouldn't play unprotected from the elements.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi I'm not disputing any accuracy . I know those will get me in the ballpark. I have about four or five different tuners and on sunny days;I might as well not even have one because I can't see it. They all get lost in the sun.I hate buying another one of these things ;but ;ya really think it's worth springin for a Peterson? Which one is it?Looks like there are a few clip ons.....Not moving to Wales,been there Loved it!,but...
All depends on which ballpark you want to play in.

There is a reason that Peterson graces every pro level stage in the world.

I give them out as Christmas gifts, to people I play with.

Have been using Peterson strobes since the 70's. Back before Autotune, you had to have guitars set up, intonated, and ready when going into the studio
Old 05-04-2024, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
Get one of these:

Ha! probably right ,but I 'm setting one of those up. Caught my finger in one once; and besides they are usually set up anyway.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…But that's off thread ... so took my tuner outside and sure enough, in direct sun, pretty much useless. Cupping my had over and can see the display fine. (But then I'd need a third hand to really efficiently tune.)
Hi seaveez
I own mostly LED tuners, but keep a couple old LCD ones for picnics, outings, etc where I'll be wanting to tune out-in-the-wild.

Actually the Petersons are LCD. I have the original Clip version, and while it's a little erratic, I can still make it work (I figured it out during the first month I had it). But it's useless during a song with other's playing so sensitive it 'hears' the bass using the top of my guitar like a diaphragm.

Also my iPhone 15 will hit 1000nits of brightness outside for short periods, so it's bright enough even in bright sunlight, and I keep the Airyware tuner on the front page (paid the fee) of my phone, and it's really good…but it does have to use a mic. So it's only good when the music stops.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion