The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Default DADGAD and string choice

Since getting another flat-top that works for most of what I play in standard, I've been leaving my Eastman E1OM in DADGAD and exploring that in some more depth than I had previously. I'm having some fun with it, some of the folk tunes and songs I'd often play on cittern sit really well and offer some interesting drone and harmony choices.
Though I'm wondering, of the people regularly playing DADGAD, how many are using a dedicated string set, or just putting up with the different feel between the 1st, 2nd, 6th strings and the rest? I've generally liked 12-54 lights on this guitar in standard tuning, but with the 24.9" scale I feel the B is too loose feeling in DADGAD. And if I do go with a DADGAD optimised set, does anyone do them in 80/20?
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-01-2024, 09:30 AM

DADGAD and string choice

For six string guitars, I favor Elixir PB HD Light gauge strings. {.013 - .053}.

Tuning to DADGAD with these gives you a stronger treble feel as they are already slightly boosted with their Medium gauge trebles to begin with. So no change in string gauge needed and a great result.

With 12 string guitars, I use 12 string Light gauge {.010 - .047}, and tune them down a semi-tone to 'D#'.
Tuning to DADGAD from there just tunes it to DADGAD intervals, starting with 'c#C#' in the first course, et cetera.
Or to put it in another way of thinking, tune to DADGAD and then down another semi-tone for all strings.

I usually have a six and a twelve in DADGAD intervals.

But they don't play well together.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 05-01-2024 at 09:44 AM. Reason: proof reading
Old 05-01-2024, 09:38 AM

Ive tried the dedicated "DADGAD" sets from D'addario, but prefer to just run medium gauge for anything dropped tuning (especially since I already use them on certain guitars. Eliminated the need to buy yet another set/gauge)
Seems to hold more tension than the DADGAD sets, eliminating the "floppy" feel.

Not sure if I've seen an 80/20 set of DADGAD out in the wild. I do know you can get a custom set from Stringjoy (although spendy)

Cheers
Old 05-01-2024, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

In the past, I have used a hybrid set for DADGAD and DADF#AD, light gauge for strings 5, 4, and 3, and medium gauge for strings 6, 2 and 1. Some string makers offer custom set gauges that I can choose (e.g., Stringjoy among others). Santa Curz Guitar Company makes a dedicated DADGAD in both low tension and medium tension sets. The 6th string in each set is .061".
Old 05-01-2024, 10:21 AM

Yes, I use the dedicated DADGAD string sets (called "new medium" or "true medium"). All the major string companies produce them. String tension is important if you're trying to play rhythm on dropped tunings. I find that these hybrid strings pull the neck less than regular mediums and I currently play them on my D18 in standard tuning to stave off a neck reset.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 05-01-2024, 11:18 AM

D'Addario True Mediums for me all the way. Work well in C based tunings too. The Elixir HD lights are Ok on my Taylor GCs with a shorter scale, but I tend to use standard scale instruments for altered tunings.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:18 AM

I have the Santa Cruz Guitar Companys Mid and Light tensions on 2 different guitars .
The DADGAD light tensions are tuned in DADGAD on the SCGC 000 AB/Moon Spruce.
The Mid tension set is tuned to Open G on the SCGC FTC Granadillo/ Redwood.
In a conversation with Brenda at Santa Cruz I learned that Hoover ,and crew, designed the sets to be used in most Alternate tunings.
I play both guitars at least 3hrs. a week and they hold tune well and sound great after 4 months. I have always found SCGC strings to last a LONG time.
One thing about SCGC strings.....You know when they are "Right" as they reach pitch. I can't explain it but thre is no doubt about being in tune.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 05-01-2024, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Yes, I use the dedicated DADGAD string sets (called "new medium" or "true medium"). All the major string companies produce them. String tension is important if you're trying to play rhythm on dropped tunings. I find that these hybrid strings pull the neck less than regular mediums and I currently play them on my D18 in standard tuning to stave off a neck reset.
Aha, "new medium" was the phrase I needed, there's a John Pearse 80/20 set that I might try first. I didn't realise that was what the name meant.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-01-2024, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
In the past, I have used a hybrid set for DADGAD and DADF#AD, light gauge for strings 5, 4, and 3, and medium gauge for strings 6, 2 and 1. Some string makers offer custom set gauges that I can choose (e.g., Stringjoy among others). Santa Curz Guitar Company makes a dedicated DADGAD in both low tension and medium tension sets. The 6th string in each set is .061".
I usually use hybrid sets of Daddario XS, half medium, half light like you describe.

I’m wondering though -have you used the Santa Cruz sets with .061, and if so, did you need to widen that nut slot?
Old 05-01-2024, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
DADGAD and string choice

With 12 string guitars, I use 12 string Light gauge {.010 - .047}, and tune them down a semi-tone to 'D#'.
Tuning to DADGAD from there just tunes it to DADGAD intervals, starting with 'c#C#' in the first course, et cetera.
Or to put it in another way of thinking, tune to DADGAD and then down another semi-tone for all strings.
I tune a half tone sharp. Easy on the strings and easy on the neck when switching from EADGBE to D#A#D#G#A#D#.
Both exert the same tension (with a pound or so) on the neck and the strings hold up better when going back and forth.
Starting at Std., three strings go flat and three go sharp, a half tone.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)

Last edited by Corndog; 05-01-2024 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:43 PM

Try the Martin Retro Monel Laurence Juber set...
Old 05-01-2024, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
I tune a half tone sharp. Easy on the strings and easy on the neck when switching from EADGBE to D#A#D#G#A#D#.
Both exert the same tension (with a pound or so) on the neck and the strings hold up better when going back and forth.
Starting at Std., three strings go flat and three go sharp, a half tone.
Are you also talking about 12 string guitars?

I keep my 12 string guitars normally tuned down a semi-tone to 'D#'. Thus the bass E course is tuned 'd#D#', et cetera. This is my current starting position for all my 12 string guitars. Tuned my original 12 string guitars down to 'D' as many manufacturers and word of mouth advised back in the 60's. Old habits die hard, so I now tune to 'D#' Easier on my old hands and produces a extra bit of 'growl' with the sound. Results of the lesser tension.

If you are just talking 6 string guitars, I keep all my six string guitars normally in 'standard' E (A=440) tuning, and when I want to go to DADGAD with a given instrument I just tune down the E, B, and e strings for the DADGAD.
sounds like you keep your sixers tuned to 'D#' normally?

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-02-2024, 12:40 AM

I use D'Addario XS singles in the following gauges for Dadgad (but bear in mind there are a lot of other tunings I use): 54, 44, 33, 24, 16, 13

Next string change I might beef up the G as this sometimes goes down to an E. The 2nd string sometimes goes to a C which is why I keep it as a 16- I don't mind that on my 640mm scale Brook it is slightly loose in feeling- seems to add a certain sonic character that I quite enjoy.

Robbie
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Old 05-02-2024, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Are you also talking about 12 string guitars?

I keep my 12 string guitars normally tuned down a semi-tone to 'D#'. Thus the bass E course is tuned 'd#D#', et cetera. This is my current starting position for all my 12 string guitars. Tuned my original 12 string guitars down to 'D' as many manufacturers and word of mouth advised back in the 60's. Old habits die hard, so I now tune to 'D#' Easier on my old hands and produces a extra bit of 'growl' with the sound. Results of the lesser tension.

If you are just talking 6 string guitars, I keep all my six string guitars normally in 'standard' E (A=440) tuning, and when I want to go to DADGAD with a given instrument I just tune down the E, B, and e strings for the DADGAD.
sounds like you keep your sixers tuned to 'D#' normally?

Be well and play well,

Don
Yes 6 string guitars. Maybe I was adding confusion.
I think tuning a six string DADGAD, all sharp, does three things that I like.

*The strings ring better especially on short scale guitars. I also prefer the feel of the slightly greater string tension.
*The strings wear better (IMO) when switching back and forth to Std tuning.
*And if you leave the guitar for an extended period of time, the sharpened DADGAD tuning exerts the same tension on the neck as when in Std tuning.

I think this pertains to the OP as it reduces what tuning to DADGAD creates and maybe they won't feel the need for an "optimized" set of strings.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)

Last edited by Corndog; 05-02-2024 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
Since getting another flat-top that works for most of what I play in standard, I've been leaving my Eastman E1OM in DADGAD and exploring that in some more depth than I had previously. I'm having some fun with it, some of the folk tunes and songs I'd often play on cittern sit really well and offer some interesting drone and harmony choices.
Though I'm wondering, of the people regularly playing DADGAD, how many are using a dedicated string set, or just putting up with the different feel between the 1st, 2nd, 6th strings and the rest? I've generally liked 12-54 lights on this guitar in standard tuning, but with the 24.9" scale I feel the B is too loose feeling in DADGAD. And if I do go with a DADGAD optimised set, does anyone do them in 80/20?
Hi PM
I've always just used my 'standard' strings for alternate tunings…though for CGCGCD I have restrung a ˝ set heavier. I use strings from Webstrings dot com which has some half-weight combos.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion