The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2022, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Recording King Guitars - what are your opinions?

What's the consensus here, if any, on Recording King guitars?

Running my retired-guy errands, I make side stops in various guitar shops to test-drive new and used guitars. I take pleasure (some might say perversely) in knowing nothing about some of the guitars I play, liking some of them a LOT more than others. I judge them solely on what they deliver. Of course, most of the higher priced, well-known brands are usually pretty nice. But now and then, I'll stumble across a low-mid priced box that really shines, equally, or perhaps even more so. My criteria?
- Tone
- Volume
- Action up and down the neck
- General playability
- Decent tuners
- Features
- Fit and finish

One such surprising brand I've seen a few times lately is Recording King (which I understand was owned by Montgomery Wards 1872-2001, and then revived again recently by someone else).

Yesterday, I played a Recording King PRO Grand Auditorium Cutaway that really performed with every style I threw at it. $450? Easy to swallow - almost too easy. I'm no "brand-nazi," but it sort of made me feel like it might be more appealing with a different name on the headstock, or a heftier price tag - or both. How's that for perverse?

So short of taking it home and playing it non-stop for a month (like many of us tend to with new toys), I'm interested in learning first how others here might regard this interesting brand/model. Thanks for weighing in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RGA-16R-CFE5-TBR_A.jpg (17.6 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 06-15-2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:50 PM

I owned a Recording King Triple O that was a nice guitar. Solid spruce top, laminated sapele or khaya back and sides.

I bought it off Craigslist for $300 or so, so I’m not certain what it retailed for.

whm
Old 06-12-2022, 09:02 PM

Good guitars, but need to play before you buy like most guitars.
G&L S500
Old 06-12-2022, 09:07 PM

You might be interested to see and to listen to what Justin Townes Earle could get out of a Recording King series 7 parlor guitar:

https://youtu.be/jAJAZ9aSSkk

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 06-12-2022, 09:09 PM

I have had an RO-26 for about ten years. Well made, easy to play, good tone. Great value.
Recording King RO-26
www.nathan-barnes.com
Old 06-12-2022, 09:29 PM

I’ve got an RD-310 (Adi/Mahogany) solid woods, have owned about six years. Purchased from Elderly’s, it’s been a great guitar, no issues.
Sounds great, plays great, blindfolded you’d think it was a ………., many folk have been very surprised.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:17 PM

I had an ROS-606 about 10 years ago that I still miss sometimes. Very interesting, unique guitar. It was like the 15-series that I wished Martin would make.

Their current lineup doesn't interest me much. It's all either $200 guitars that sound like buckets (I own one of the Dirty 30s parlors that I regret impulse-purchasing) or mid-range guitars that seem to have no real identity or character.

Blueridge is now making the guitars that I wish Recording King was, but I find the proposition of a $1700 Blueridge hard to wrap my head around.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:11 PM

They are excellent guitars for the money.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:48 PM

Have owned 6 all solid RKs, my favourite of which is the RNJ-26. 13 fret Lucas / Dylan style guitar. Think it would sell well if they ever re-introduced this model.

All of the 6 have been well set up, played well, sounded good and offered good value for money when compared to some other brands in a similar price band.

G
Old 06-13-2022, 06:19 AM

I have two Recording Kings (see list below) and I like them both. No, the RD-318 isn’t a poor man’s D-18, but it is much, much better than the price point insinuates that it is. The RD-11 TBH is a very lightly built dreadnaught. It keeps telling me, “I need to be fingerpicked, not flatpicked! You are overdriving me!”. I think of it as a “Flamenco Dreadnaught”, but it IS an all solid Mahogany/Adirondack dread. But, alas, I do not fingerpick, so it goes neglected for days on end. One thing that I have noticed is that they both are very sensitive to any changes in the set up. By that I mean that very small adjustments make very large changes in playability and tone of both of these guitars, so getting the set up right may take a few (many?) tries. Strings?, Sure! The TBH wants to wear 80/20 11’s. The RD-318 wants Monel 12’s. They sing best with these strings. Which brand? They really don’t care. They are good kids and play with whatever I put on them (within reason).
Old 06-13-2022, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I have owned several over the years. I currently only have one, the RD-328. It's a real nice Adi/Rosewood dread reminiscent of an HD-28. Every RK I have had has been a good solid guitar for very little money. I would recommend.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

I feel like I've talked about my Recording Kings more than my other guitars on this forum. They're excellent bang for the buck. But like others have said I think it comes down the individual instrument.
My RO-06 has a surprisingly resonant and musical top, it just sings and is full of blooming overtones. When I first bought it I couldn't really hear that. I set it up, added a fully intonated saddle and fresh strings. Now it's one of my favorite fingerpicking guitars. The neck profile and nut width are great.

However, if you care at all about build quality and finish, then my Recording Kings don't come close to my Martins or Eastman. They feel like cheap guitars. But boy they play and sound great.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
…I'm interested in learning first how others here might regard this interesting brand/model. Thanks for weighing in.
Hey t…
I own a ROS-626 (all solid Mahogany/Spruce) 12 fret full scale with a 1¹³/₁₆" nut. It's a throwback to the mid 1920s Martins, and it's a great sounding/playing little guitar.

I added a side port because it projected great into the room, but the player really could not hear it. Fun for Ragtime and chunky-strumming. Sounds great on songs like Sweet Georgia Brown!

It's ok for fingerstyle, but the sustain is not that of my other guitars (I would not expect it to be).

I've owned it (2nd hand) since 2009, and had a K&K installed. The original owner sanded down most of the V neck (it still resembles a baseball bat neck profile).

Glad I have it. I do HATE string it (pierced fingertips).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-13-2022, 08:50 AM

Well, not to rain on everyone's parade, but I currently own an ROS 06 that is sitting in my closet with the bridge nearly pulled off. I'd heard of that happening with RK guitars so I guess it's true. It sure was a looker though.. really nice tortoise shell (plastic) binding, nice finish too. The tone, when I was able to play it was pretty good too. Just what you'd expect and desire for a guitar of this style. I think I'll try my hand at amatuer luthiery and re-glue the bridge to see if I can salvage it.

71 Harmony Sovereign
Taylor AD27e
Yamaha FG-260 12 String
Yamaha FG-730S
Rogue Mandolin
Applecreek Dulcimer

Old 06-13-2022, 08:59 AM

I think they are upping their game lately,, but have a ways to go...

PS
I had a Alvarez Parlor bridge lift also...

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion