The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi, just enquiring .. Are Authentics built lighter than the normal models?

and/or .. what are the essential differences between the Authentics and the standard models?
Old 03-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Kori, A couple data points. The authorized Martin Luthier repair tech who I work with a lot and I value as a quite an expert said he has worked on a LOT of Martin D-18 Authentic necks. Many require heat press and neck resets. I personally have heard and played so many GREAT Dreads that HAVE adjustable truss rods. The Authentic's do not not. That is cause for great concern for me with extreme temperature shifts and I'm afraid of Authentic's because of that.

A very close friend of mine locally has a Martin '37 D-18A and it is one of the best acoustic dreads I've ever heard or played. He had to send his back to Martin for a bridge issue. It was gone 8 months? Yikes.

I played a 1939 D-18A locally and did not love the treble string voicing. ThBut every guitar is different.

If you are the original owner however, you have some protection in terms of any warranty related issues. Martin are very good about taking care of their customers.

Bye bye OM-28?
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 03-09-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, just enquiring .. Are Authentics built lighter than the normal models?

and/or .. what are the essential differences between the Authentics and the standard models?
Monster differences! There are others too but this is a good start:

Torrefied tops and bracing
Hot hide glue full construction
Thinner finish (vintage gloss / semi gloss)
Smaller bridge plate
Tucked braces
Authentic style bracing (the most heavily scalloped Martin uses)
Non adjustable truss rods
Glued in long saddle
Thinner fingerboard
Slotted bridge with solid bridge pins

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 03-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Kori, A couple data points. The authorized Martin Luthier repair tech who I work with a lot and I value as a quite an expert said he has worked on a LOT of Martin D-18 Authentic necks. Many require heat press and neck resets. I personally have heard and played so many GREAT Dreads that HAVE adjustable truss rods. The Authentic's do not not. That is cause for great concern for me with extreme temperature shifts and I'm afraid of Authentic's because of that.

A very close friend of mine locally has a Martin '37 D-18A and it is one of the best acoustic dreads I've ever heard or played. He had to send his back to Martin for a bridge issue. It was gone 8 months? Yikes.

I played a 1939 D-18A locally and did not love the treble string voicing. ThBut every guitar is different.

If you are the original owner however, you have some protection in terms of any warranty related issues. Martin are very good about taking care of their customers.

Bye bye OM-28?
Interesting feedback Gary on the Authentic necks. I am not an expert on truss rods but, all my guitars do have them.

I have not heard reports of problems with the Authentic necks, or I should say, no more issues than Standards with neck set issues. I would be curious if there is an actual statistical difference.

Hmmmm...more to think about.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:14 PM

I also adore the Collings Julian Lage neck carve, my favorite! Have you or anyone played a Collings' D1T with a custom 1 11/16" neck? Curious how that neck might compare in feel to the Martin 1939 D18A?
Old 03-09-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, just enquiring .. Are Authentics built lighter than the normal models? and/or .. what are the essential differences between the Authentics and the standard models?
Andy, Authentic's are discussed weekly (at least) here, so I'm a bit surprised that since the release of the Authentic line in 2013 you haven't seen, heard or played them. However, if the question is sincere, here is Spoon Phillips' explanation of the line.

http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/ac...hentic-series/
Old 03-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat1 View Post
I also adore the Collings Julian Lage neck carve, my favorite! Have you or anyone played a Collings' D1T with a custom 1 11/16" neck? Curious how that neck might compare in feel to the Martin 1939 D18A?
I have not but, I definitely would like to!
Old 04-29-2019, 06:59 AM

I have a D18 1939 Authentic with "just" the torrified top. The guitar is wonderful to play. It rings all the bells for me: extremely lightweight, the nut/neck carve are right up there with the Collings JL for comfort (I have smallish hands), very cutting in a bluegrass context and can be delicate or roar. This is a guitar that fills the room as they say. You have got to like mahogany, this guitar is the epitome of CRISP. Currently have Retros on it and am liking that woody tone and low tension. I slightly prefer the trebles on my Bourgeois Vintage D (also adi/hog) otherwise these two dreads are neck and neck for me and I am crazy about both of them.

Last edited by KitKat1; 04-30-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Kori...did you purchased this guitar?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Authentics feature a finish that is half that of the production Martins. The Aged Authentics have a finish that is half that of the "regular" Authentics and to me this is the key to their fabulous tone.

Big fan of the D28 Aged version. I'm among the group of folks on UMGF who are waiting/hoping for the Aged version of the D18 1937 because we prefer the 1 3/4 nut. I have no doubt that the 1939 Aged is a killer guitar but haven't sought one out to play because I know the neck won't work for me.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat1 View Post
Late to the thread - I have a D18 1939 Authentic with "just" the torrified top. The guitar is wonderful to play. This is a guitar that fills the room as they say. You have got to like mahogany, this guitar is the epitome of CRISP.
Agree about the crisp thing. It’s almost a bit too much actually. But that’s the D-18 sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Big fan of the D28 Aged version. I'm among the group of folks on UMGF who are waiting/hoping for the Aged version of the D18 1937 because we prefer the 1 3/4 nut. I have no doubt that the 1939 Aged is a killer guitar but haven't sought one out to play because I know the neck won't work for me.
Paul, how is the neck profile on your D-28AA ? Someone wrote that the newer ones don’t have as much of an extreme depth change as the earliest non-aged D-28As. I mean some of these crazy necks are like 0.75 depth in 1st position (stupid shallow) and 1.05” at the 10th. I can’t even entertain owning a guitar with a neck like that...

Old 04-29-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

The neck on the D28 Aged is just as nuts as the non aged Authentic but I get along with it just fine. I didn't even realize how dramatic the taper is until I tried moving a capo from II to V!

Honestly, I'm quite sure you wouldn't care for it at all.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-29-2019, 09:23 AM

It was with tears in my eyes I had to put down the '39 D-18A Aged at Gryphon recently. Didn't have the bucks ready or it would have gone home with me.

It only lasted two days before it was purchased by a lucky new owner.

FABULOUS guitars!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
The neck on the D28 Aged is just as nuts as the non aged Authentic but I get along with it just fine. I didn't even realize how dramatic the taper is until I tried moving a capo from II to V!

Honestly, I'm quite sure you wouldn't care for it at all.
Thanks Paul. Yeah, the delta between 1st position depth and the 10th is just too great on these D-28As. 0.75 to 1.05" -- seriously?!

The neck on my 2007 000-18 Authentic is a more gradual ~ 0.88" in 1st position and ~ 1.06" at the 10th. It's also a nice C to V shape -- my favorite Martin neck of all that I've owned to date. If the D-28A had this neck, I'd probably own one already.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Thanks Paul. Yeah, the delta between 1st position depth and the 10th is just too great on these D-28As. 0.75 to 1.05" -- seriously?!
Wow, that's insane, must be incredibly disconcerting changing positions.

A couple years back I returned '64 reissue tele because its taper was too extreme for me - that one measured .82/.99 (1st/12th).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion