The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2022, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
Well, this is why I have a Love / Hate relationship with the AGF! You guys are hell on my bank account!

Just made an offer and it was accepted on a 12 fret burst Smeck Slothead that was purchased new just 2 months ago. The price was $700 less than a new one and free shipping! So, the waiting game begins as I await my retirement present to myself!
Their burst finishes are first-rate. Even better is how the guitars sound—they have an impressive library of demo videos on their website:

Videos of Iris Guitars

This is one of my favorites:

Old 03-15-2022, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Wow....that's a great deal Mike, I hope it works out for you !
Old 03-15-2022, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Wow....that's a great deal Mike, I hope it works out for you !
Thanks - I found it on Reverb, and the guy is supposedly selling because of shoulder pain, which makes the large lower bout a problem for him. He purchased it new from Acoustic Vibes Music on 2/5/22, so it's basically new. His asking price was good to begin with @ $500 off. I made an offer @ $200 lower, thinking he would come back with a counter offer. Nope, he accepted and the deal is done. Now I have to wait for it to travel from Hawaii to Florida!
Old 03-15-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I own two of Adam Buchwald's Circle String guitars so I'm no stranger to the level of quality that comes out of his shop. However, I really had no interest in an Iris guitar until recently when the ND-200 model came out. I'm not a Gibson guy but there's one model that has always sounded really good to my ears and that's the J200. I suspect that 2023 will be the year I grab an ND-200. I've seen them with maple b/s and that would be the version I'd want.
+1

I've never been in the same room as an Iris guitar but that's one I want to get my arms around, assuming they are long enough. I'd like to try different woods but maple b/s is especially interesting.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Their burst finishes are first-rate. Even better is how the guitars sound—they have an impressive library of demo videos on their website:

Videos of Iris Guitars

This is one of my favorites:

Thanks - I've seen most of the Iris videos, but never caught this one for the CH model. That little guitar sounds great and the arrangement is awesome!
Old 03-15-2022, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

The CH is one sweet sounding guitar. It's mellow and soothing to your soul...if I didn't already have two awesome small bodied guitars (Waterloo WL-K and luthier built size 0 Martin clone adi/EIR) I would absolutely keep it.

So far i do think the DF is the best IRIS model however I haven't tried the AB or ND or Smeck.

I think 4 acoustics is perfect. 2 small ones and 2 big ones.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Speaking of the CH Model - Check out this beauty @ Northern Lights Music:

https://northernlightsmusic.com/prod...gured-mahogany

They seem to have the largest stock of available Iris guitars, with a few custom gloss finish models (No DF's though).
Old 03-16-2022, 07:37 AM

My favorite will be the 000 14 fret that Adam said they will be coming out with. It should be available within a year. I'm waiting, not all that patiently. If it's as responsive, and plays like the OG I had a chance to try, it will be worth the wait. I guess...
Old 03-16-2022, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R22 View Post
My favorite will be the 000 14 fret that Adam said they will be coming out with. It should be available within a year. I'm waiting, not all that patiently. If it's as responsive, and plays like the OG I had a chance to try, it will be worth the wait. I guess...
I have heard the rumor that an OM / 000 is in the works - should be another great offering from the Iris crew!

Better grab your slot now!
Old 03-16-2022, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I was hoping by the time my ND200 build slot arrived there would be some video clips to help me decide on woods. We've still only seen clips of mahogany examples. After consulting with Adam I chose rosewood/adirondack, they started it a couple weeks ago.

Stay Gold in NM also gets a good supply of Iris stock.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-16-2022, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I was hoping by the time my ND200 build slot arrived there would be some video clips to help me decide on woods. We've still only seen clips of mahogany examples. After consulting with Adam I chose rosewood/adirondack, they started it a couple weeks ago.

Stay Gold in NM also gets a good supply of Iris stock.
Very Nice - sounds like a beauty. The adi top over rosewood will be incredible I'm sure! What's the build time frame?
Old 03-16-2022, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Adam sent me photos of the top and back woods on Feb 23 and said completion would be "hopefully March."

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-16-2022, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Just talked to Adam last night...they have orders in for the 700th+ Iris. WOW. Incredible growth in the last couple years. I remember when I was the only Iris owner and the only one talking about 'em. Glad the word started spreading and people started getting hands on them. They are just so great.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Mr. Paul ! Sounds like it will be awesome. Can't wait to see it !
Old 03-17-2022, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

I have a DF. Adi top, 3/4" nut, ivoroid binding. I've added Bob Colosi Bone pins. It sounds great, but it's a month old and Adi will change over the next few months. So I'll reserve comments about tone for a while.

I ordered through TNAG. I can not recommend these folks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion