The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Neck Size Exchange

Hi Mates,

Have had a 414 for about a year. Great guitar! Didn't know diddly about Taylor until I went looking for a Gibby J-45 or a similar Martin. Long story short, the sales guy asked me if I'd like to try a Taylor. End of story.

Unfortunately, I was not aware of different neck widths available. I've got short stubbies for digits and bought the 414 with the standard 1.75" neck width. I can handle it OK but a 1 and 11/16" width would probably be ideal.

Question: Has anybody tried to swap out one size neck for another? Is this something that Taylor will do? I realize if they did offer this service it would be expensive, but that's OK.

Willy 2 Shoes
Old 01-09-2004, 10:14 AM

Default as far as I know....

getting a Taylor with a 1 11/16 neck is a NO-charge option...

now wait a second, I'm not reading carefully enough again...you seem to know that now...

I don't know the answer to your question...

that's not of much help I suppose......
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 01-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Eric Skye

I very much doubt it. I’m guessing they’d have to change the string spacing on you’re current bridge, and I think the space where your neck connects to the body is probably wider than it would be for a 1 11/16. I could be wrong, I’m curious to hear what you find out. Can’t be cheap. Have you tried the same guitar with a narrower neck? Are you're fingers just short? I don't think it'll make a too big difference if they are just a little short ( we're talking a 1/8th of inch). If they are "stubby", as in kind of big around, you might be better off with the 1 3/4.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion