The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2001, 07:43 PM

Question Baby KOA anyone??

hi, i'm thinking of getting myself a baby taylor and i deffinitely want to try a koa. i haven't heard much of the baby koa though, anyone have one?? how are they?? thank you!
Old 11-06-2001, 09:07 PM
Bob Womack

All the Babies have laminated backs and sides. That means the exterior finish layer of wood is there for appearances only. What it seems to come down to is the sound of the particular instrument. I have a Baby with what what appears to be a rare engelman top. It's a cannon. I'd love to get a Baby K but don't know if I could find one as nice as this.

Shop with your ears and have FUN!

Bob
Old 11-06-2001, 09:36 PM

Cool

Like Bob said the body wood is just a cosmetic. The baby M has a mahogany top but when it comes to babys they all sound differant. just find one that fits and go for it.. JW
Old 11-06-2001, 10:02 PM

I just bought one last week. I agree with the previous comments. The Baby's don't seem to consistently exhibit the known charactaristics of each tone wood and it is probably because of the facia construction. They are all a little different although the Koa does look cool IMO. It just so happened that this one sounded better than all the rest regardless of the wood.
The one exception that I would make to this observation is the BabyM. Being that this is the only model in the Baby family that has a mahogany top, it does have a fundamentally different sound.
My advice would be to find someone who has several in stock and go play them all.
Happy Hunting.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:16 PM

Dear gijohn,

I bought a Baby Koa a year or so ago to teach my little nephew (a 2nd grader) guitar lessons. I found the Baby Koa to be the best sounding of all of the Baby Taylors the store had in stock.

I don't know if you have heard but, the new Baby Taylors now have a new NT-style neck construction that makes the neck more stable.

Make sure the Baby Taylor you buy doesn't have the "wall" brace inside (this is the old style neck.)

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to get!

God bless,
Louisiana

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion