The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2002, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Choosing String gauges

The "D" string on my 810 sort of overpowers the other strings. I'm thinking about experimenting with the gauge for that string. Can using a larger or smaller gauge string emphasize or de-empahsize it's tone? If so, any advice on the effects of going larger/smaller?
Old 08-30-2002, 08:14 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Taylors are very strong right in the middle (Bob T calls them the "Taylor notes") but before you switch string gauges, there are a couple of things to check first.

One is the saddle. If it's really tight in the slot, it could be that it's not seated evenly. If you need pliers to remove it, try sanding the back vertical side just a little so it fits a little more easily.

Next, check to make sure all the strings' ball ends are seated squarely against the bridge plate. Some people say that you should only change strings one at a time, but I like doing them all at once so I can get the strings seated in the bridge and feel for proper fit before I wind them up.

If the saddle and ball ends are good, try a new set of strings, possibly a different brand or type. It could be that you just have a really hot string there. If that doesn't make any difference, then I would try a lighter gauge to see if that helps.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion