The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM

Default JP armrests on my guitars

With some reservation/apprehension I ordered a pair of JP Slimline armrests (wish they had a rosewood option so that I could get one ebony and one rosewood) to attach to my S&P folks last week, and they arrived yesterday.

The curvature of the armrest doesn't exactly align 100% to the lower bout. (With the two end aligned to the top's edge, there is about a 1/16" gap between the top's edge and the middle of the armrest.) But thankfully, if you look at the top even about two feet away, you can't notice that gap.

When it comes to sound, the armrests deliver on their promise. I notice the biggest difference when using a strap to stand up while playing. There was absolutely no way to avoid resting the forearm on the top before the armrest was installed, and now the top can fully vibrate with the forearm detached. And even when sitting down (where the forearm usually doesn't contact the top but part of the biceps resting on the side protrudes slightly to the top) there is a discernible improvement in volume and clarity.

To be perfectly honest, it'll take me a little while to get visually used to the presence of the armrests on my guitars. But there's no question that the tonal improvement outweighs any aesthetic concerns. It just feels like I just got two new guitars that sound better than the ones I had.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 PM

I have a Martin HD-28 custom that I put one on when I first bought it. The armrest keeps my sweaty forearm opff of the top, and I also feel the top vibrating much more when I play because the only point of contact with it is the armrest. Good choice, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Washburn Cumberland
Godin 5th Avenue
Some Others
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM

I've been considering one for my J-45. There's always a haze after I play for even a few minutes around that area and I hate having to break out the Virtuoso after each playing. Are the armrests a "one size fits all"? I don't really see any info regarding different types of guitars on the JP web site.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 PM

On the JP website, you can download and print the templates so that you can find out for yourself which one works best. You just need to ensure that the print size is 100%.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
...But there's no question that the tonal improvement outweighs any aesthetic concerns...
Not to me.

Seriously though, I think it's more about feel and preference of the player. They look and feel unnatural to me and I just don't care for them. I have the same opinion of Tone-Gards and armrests on mandolins, but others swear by them.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
But there's no question that the tonal improvement outweighs any aesthetic concerns.
I'm in the same camp as Todd. For how I play and hold the guitar, the change would be minor. And any minor change in sound would not be offset by the horror I feel looking at those things!

Different strokes...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion