The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2024, 06:34 AM

Nice stable of electrics! Is that Les Paul an R9?
Old 04-25-2024, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I am amazed at this thread. Negatively amazed. I can't recall ever before seeing such resolute nitpicking.
and misinformation.......

1) It is not buffing compound. Taylor uses a flexible wood putty to intrentionally fill the gaps around their adjustable NT neck joint. They have a white paper and video about this you can Google to learn more. You don't usually see much on the sides but you can see it usually most prominently next to the heel cap. They use different color putties tomatch the wood stain.

2) that ripple effect is not from tool chatter. Tool chatter is a real thing but not in this example. Those ripples follow the wood grain (vessels and fiber boundaries). Whether this is acceptable to you, or not, is purely your preference - I think it looks 100% fine but that's just me.

there is no reason to suspect anything structural in these pictures, whatsoever.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-25-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF View Post
Nice stable of electrics! Is that Les Paul an R9?
Hello,

Yes it is, it's a 2001 Historical '59 "Murphy" with Tom Holmes pickups. I'm not a Les Paul player (prefer SuperStrats).
It's mainly for recording when I need a Les Paul tone, I'm a session musician, as my livelihood...
Old 04-25-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
and misinformation.......

1) It is not buffing compound. Taylor uses a flexible wood putty to intrentionally fill the gaps around their adjustable NT neck joint. They have a white paper and video about this you can Google to learn more. You don't usually see much on the sides but you can see it usually most prominently next to the heel cap. They use different color putties tomatch the wood stain.

2) that ripple effect is not from tool chatter. Tool chatter is a real thing but not in this example. Those ripples follow the wood grain (vessels and fiber boundaries). Whether this is acceptable to you, or not, is purely your preference - I think it looks 100% fine but that's just me.

there is no reason to suspect anything structural in these pictures, whatsoever.
*Thanks! I'm purely taking the advice from people on this forum, I'm not a full time Acoustic player but I do love a Beautiful Acoustic!!!

Again the Ripple on the neck "Is New to Me" from my 30 acoustics, mostly high end, have never had this type of look. The builders that I've worked with said they would reject the Rippling.
Taylor is a "General Production" company so their specifications would be more open, so less wasted product.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion