The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
The second picture appears to be from a fast-growing redwood, perhaps something more contemporary? !
A very astute observation!

I titled this post "Xtreme Redwood" because this is not the usual redwood used in instrument building today that is harvested from commercially grown, and relatively young trees.. This top is from an extremely protected Giant Sequoia Redwood, and therefor, extremly rare, and, extremely old. Again, the term "millenium redwood" refers to the fact that this would is at least 1,000 years old.

There is a long story that goes with this top. Apparently, the University of Cal Davis needed to cut down a giant redwood on their property to build something or other, and they were going to use the wood from this tree in the building. However, a luthier who just happened to be in the right place at the right time was allowed to harvest enough of the tree to make about 50 tops when it was quartersawn. Micahel at Fine Fretted Friends just happened to know this luthier and was able to talk him out of one. It was not cheap, but, as soon as I saw a picture of the top, I felt it was worth the price.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtaylorguy View Post
Those tops are beautiful. I mean, like, AMAZINGLY beautiful. The original post said the bass wasn't powerful.. I wonder what a redwood GS would be like?
I concur with everything stated as to the complexities and beauty of Redwood- while the Bass is not overpowering, it is so well balanced with the other areas- again- very crisp and clear intonation with even the lightest pick or pluck, incredible seperation and sustain.

My Redwood top is wonderful- IMO it is wonderful- everything people are stating about Redwood tops is true just magical.

http://www.thepodium.com/pm-15386-24...soldfontb.aspx

As for audio clips- they will come soon. With two kids at home under the age of 4, it is hard to sneak over to my friend's place to lay down tracks.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:46 PM

Yamamto certainly has excellent design sense. If you pair that with a great sounding instrument he will go very far.

Peace Out,
Simon
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
A very astute observation!
I must confess, I grew up in the Santa Cruz mountains and spent many a summer working in the redwoods for a forester managing the redwoods at a large timber company (then known as Santa Cruz Lumber Company, now knows as Red Trees). I used to go around and do core samples on redwoods (before and after the selective harvest) to measure their 10-year growth cycles with and without much daylight. The coastal redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) are a fog climate tree that prefer the cooler temperatures. The often grow in tight circular clumps, and when they mature and remain in these heavy clumps, they don't grow very much - resulting in a tight ring spacing.

The type of tree in the Yamamoto guitar (Giant Sequoia) is also part of the "redwood" family, but is a much different tree in terms of its habitat - usually high altitude and mild-wet winters and bone dry summers. These are extremely old trees, some of the oldest on the planet. I suspect they, too, would have a tight ring spacing mostly because they don't grow fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
There is a long story that goes with this top. Apparently, the University of Cal Davis needed to cut down a giant redwood on their property <snip>
This part strikes me as rather odd. Davis does not seem like the typical habitat of the Giant Sequoia - unless it was originally planted there years ago by the college. Notwithstanding, the wood in that Yamamoto guitar is very interesting in its texture (with the sapwood appearace).

Very cool.

Not to take anything away from this post or the two Redwood samples previously list, but here's a picture of my guitar's redwood top...

2009 Taylor XXXV Baritone
2007 Taylor GS5e-12 String (Spruce and Mahogany)
2006 R. Taylor "MARS" (Redwood and Cocobolo)
2006 Breedlove ABJ250 SM4 (Acoustic Bass)
1997 Taylor 514c (w/ Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend)

2 Turntables and a Microphone
Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Tod;1160316]
This part strikes me as rather odd. Davis does not seem like the typical habitat of the Giant Sequoia - unless it was originally planted there years ago by the college.

Yes, this seemed odd to me as well, so I actually contacted the luthier, a rather well known builder. who scored the wood originally. He lives up in the Sierras. It turns out that UC Davis, like many major universities, has, in addition to their main campus, a number of satelite campuses scattered accross California. One of these serves as their Forestry campus in the Sierras near Sequoia National park. This is the site of the Giant Redwood that they cut down to make room for some new facility. One of the faculty up there was a client of his and called him to ask if he had any interest in the wood. Turns out he did.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:03 AM

Okay, then that makes a lot more sense.

2009 Taylor XXXV Baritone
2007 Taylor GS5e-12 String (Spruce and Mahogany)
2006 R. Taylor "MARS" (Redwood and Cocobolo)
2006 Breedlove ABJ250 SM4 (Acoustic Bass)
1997 Taylor 514c (w/ Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend)

2 Turntables and a Microphone
Old 04-17-2007, 03:55 PM

Those are awesome redwoods. The first one is especially unique. Never seen one like that. A very good advertisement to use that luthier.

I recently bought a McPherson with flammed redwood top. Not as unique except this one is mine

Old 02-22-2015, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Resurrection...

I hope this is a good reason to resurrect this very...very old thread. Tony is an acquaintance of mine and I just saw a picture.

Of a brand spankin' new Melennium Redwood OM from Tony! Powlonia back and sides. I'm guessing that he will sell it through Stevie Coyles Mighty Fine Guitars at some point.

Yessir yessir.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Tony is doing interesting things with paulownia these days. I saw a couple of his guitars at Mighty Fine yesterday.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:02 AM

Its already been said, but that top is STUNNING... the most beautiful top I've ever seen hands down.

Gibson J15 Walnut Burst // Taylor 210 // Sigma 000m-15s // Washburn R320 // Guild g9100/g9110 (Ukes) // Epiphone M-30s (Mando)
Old 02-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Wow, was i surprised when this came up!

This is more than a beautiful guitar, it sounds like angels singing and the action is low and fast. Back in 2007 when I got it, it was my everyday go to guitar and always caused a sensation when I took it out of its case at a song circle.

Unfortunately, the lower bout is 15.25". With my increasing age, shoulder problems have prevented me from playing anything larger than a 00, and even the 00 has a Manzer wedge.

As a result, I have sold off all my guitars that are larger than a 00. I have held on to this one because it is just sooo wonderful. But, I have been thinking that I owe it to this guitar to have it owned by someone who will play it regularly. So,
you may very well be seeing it in the classifieds soon.

Steve
Old 02-23-2015, 11:29 AM

Simply stunning.

Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 PM

Honestly, I can't remember ever seeing a Yamamoto guitar that didn't make me say "WOW!" for one reason or another (usually for several reasons!). He just seems to be one of those luthiers who has the "it" factor when it comes to design.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of playing one, but have heard some recordings and they were all stellar-sounding.

Congrats on a ridiculously gorgeous guitar!
Old 02-23-2015, 01:45 PM

for your interests...
#167, Paulownia B&S, Millennium Redwood top, 14 1/8" low bout
a few more weeks to complete

Old 02-23-2015, 02:03 PM

I must say, you do some stunning work! Very impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyamamoto View Post
for your interests...
#167, Paulownia B&S, Millennium Redwood top, 14 1/8" low bout
a few more weeks to complete

Bedell TB-28G
Guild GAD M20 NA
Michael Kelly V65 SP
Tacoma PM20
Alvarez AP70

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion